Life after rejection . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyelove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was not accepted into any schools this year. I will be graduating on May 17th, and will continue to take some classes that Optometry schools recommend. I'd really like to know what some of you did to strengthen your application after being rejected. I want to work and take classes ...However i'm not interested in being a full time student again. Should I just take 1-2 courses and get more experience? I'm confused! Help! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I was not accepted into any schools this year. I will be graduating on May 17th, and will continue to take some classes that Optometry schools recommend. I'd really like to know what some of you did to strengthen your application after being rejected. I want to work and take classes ...However i'm not interested in being a full time student again. Should I just take 1-2 courses and get more experience? I'm confused! Help! :eek:

DId you get any interviews? When did you apply? What is your GPA/OAT?

I am in the same situation as you eyelove. For me, I had more than a year of experience, an okay OAT, but a great GPA. I just needed to apply earlier. I was really sad about not making it in, but on the bright side, I could finally take a year off to not think about school. My plan is to find a really good paying job, to apply early, and to just relax and have fun for a year.
But, if your GPA isn't great, maybe take a few classes to bring it up. Or study for the OATs, now that you do have time, and make a great score if the OAT score wasn't stellar.

So, just try to make the best out of things.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo this may be ambitious for you, but here's what I'm doing:

1) finishing the last year of my degree
2) working in an optometry office all summer
3) I've started an undergraduate research project on an eye-related topic.
4) I've gotten involved with my university pre-optometry club (if there isn't one at your school... just start one and call yourself president... looks pretty sweet I think).
5) I worked my butt off this past semester & got a 4.0 (make sure you try to do that too if you're not taking a full load next year... because if they see that you suck in only 3 classes... they will not think you are ready for a full course load)

The problem with my application wasn't my OAT (360) or my grades(3.6), reference letters, or even my interview... it was that I didn't have enough time in an optometry office (only 50 hrs volunteer...) all of the other applicants from the area pool I'm in had wayyy more time in an optometry office. So if there's one thing I could recommend... it would be getting a job haha. Good Luck... I think anyone can get into Optometry... as long as they have the perseverance and determination to get there.

Sooo this may be ambitious for you, but here's what I'm doing:

1) finishing the last year of my degree
2) working in an optometry office all summer
3) I've started an undergraduate research project on an eye-related topic.
4) I've gotten involved with my university pre-optometry club (if there isn't one at your school... just start one and call yourself president... looks pretty sweet I think).
5) I worked my butt off this past semester & got a 4.0 (make sure you try to do that too if you're not taking a full load next year... because if they see that you suck in only 3 classes... they will not think you are ready for a full course load)

The problem with my application wasn't my OAT (360) or my grades(3.6), reference letters, or even my interview... it was that I didn't have enough time in an optometry office (only 50 hrs volunteer...) all of the other applicants from the area pool I'm in had wayyy more time in an optometry office. So if there's one thing I could recommend... it would be getting a job haha. Good Luck... I think anyone can get into Optometry... as long as they have the perseverance and determination to get there.

I dont understand how you didn't get in with that!! 3.6, 360 +50 hours?? Thats about what I have right now and I am applying this summer... Now you have me really really nervous!

EYELOVE- what was your GPA,OAT, application like???

with stats like that, you'll get in. you must have not applied early enough

okay im glad im not the only one that found that post stressful..i think something is missing. maybe the interview went bad.

My GPA from my current school is a 3.35. I was in another school for my freshman year and had a terrible GPA. I re-took all the classes I failed in my freshman year. I got a 320 overall on my OAT, and a 330 on the sciences. I scored really high on Orgo, Quant, and Bio. My physics and reading comp scores weren't great. I also have been working with an Optometrist for over 9 months. I didn't take anatomy, and biochemistry because it wasn't required for my degree.

I did get an interview at PCO. It wasn't the best interview because the woman who interviewed me wasn't prepared because they sprung it on her.

I'm going to look into taking anatomy and biochem next semester (as a non-degree student). I also want to apply earlier. My applications were completed between Jan-Feb.

Thanks for the advice!

best of luck :thumbup:

My GPA from my current school is a 3.35. I was in another school for my freshman year and had a terrible GPA. I re-took all the classes I failed in my freshman year. I got a 320 overall on my OAT, and a 330 on the sciences. I scored really high on Orgo, Quant, and Bio. My physics and reading comp scores weren't great. I also have been working with an Optometrist for over 9 months. I didn't take anatomy, and biochemistry because it wasn't required for my degree.

I did get an interview at PCO. It wasn't the best interview because the woman who interviewed me wasn't prepared because they sprung it on her.

I'm going to look into taking anatomy and biochem next semester (as a non-degree student). I also want to apply earlier. My applications were completed between Jan-Feb.

Thanks for the advice!

i think the only thing you'll need to fix is your OAT score, even if you have a good AA and TS because adcoms look for consistancy, not a big wave of scores. Most people tend to do worse on RC and physics, so if you score well on those two sections it'll make you stand out above the rest. i doubt taking biochem and anatomy will make a huge difference but you might as well take those courses, and some additional science courses along with getting more experience in the field. g'luck

haha well don't worry too much... cause if you're applying to US schools you'll get in! It's just cause I only applied to Waterloo (and as long as you get your application in my Dec 15th, everyone's the same... because they make all of their decisions at once... not like American schools). Seriously though, when I called to ask why I didn't get in, the reason they told me was because the other applicants in my area had more "experience," I even asked specifically if it was my interview and they said it was fine. Oh well. Just finish my degree I guess.

Oh and also, the average OAT score to get into Waterloo was 375, and I only had a 360... so that was a tad bit low, however I know applicants who got in with lower then that. lol. Anyone applying to Pacific or Berkley next year? I think those are the top 2 American schools I'll be applying to next year...