ICO STUDENT LIFE QUESTIONS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opto_mistic

Reaction score
Hi all
I was recently accepted into ICO and have heard numerous students talk about how extremely difficult the program is compared to other optometry schools. I was wondering if any current/recently past ICO students could share their experience in terms of having a life outside of school? I understand that it is a graduate program and difficult but I hope to also enjoy the experience. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm currently a first year and just finishing up my first quarter and I can definitely say its really not THAT bad its very doable and manageable. Its all dependent on the work you put in. I honestly think people over hyping the difficulty (this is coming from a very average student) but again everyones backgrounds are different for example i came from a difficult undergrad where the expectations were high and the work load was equivalent or even harder compared to ICO. So to me it really wasn't an adjustment however some of my classmates were telling me they barely studied in undergrad so to some people it a huge change and is overwhelming. I was also afraid coming into it because ive never been the smartest of my class, always very average and i can say I'm doing pretty good.
In terms of life outside of school its sooo easy to make time ive been able to go out every weekend this quarter and explore the city while still keeping a good balance with school. As a class we have so many fun events and parties and its honestly been a great time. You really aren't stuck studying 24/7 lol its very doable!

Feel free to message me if you have more questions :)

Last edited:
Hey! I'm currently a first year and just finishing up my first quarter and I can definitely say its really not THAT bad its very doable and manageable. Its all dependent on the work you put in. I honestly think people over hyping the difficulty (this is coming from a very average student) but again everyones backgrounds are different for example i came from a difficult undergrad where the expectations were high and the work load was equivalent or even harder compared to ICO. So to me it really wasn't an adjustment however some of my classmates were telling me they barely studied in undergrad so to some people it a huge change and is overwhelming. I was also afraid coming into it because ive never been the smartest of my class, always very average and i can say I'm doing pretty good.
In terms of life outside of school its sooo easy to make time ive been able to go out every weekend this quarter and explore the city while still keeping a good balance with school. As a class we have so many fun events and parties and its honestly been a great time. You really aren't stuck studying 24/7 lol its very doable!

Feel free to message me if you have more questions :)
Wow very reassuring to hear. Thanks so much! Do you have time to go home often? I’m from Michigan and am predicted homesickness lol

Wow very reassuring to hear. Thanks so much! Do you have time to go home often? I’m from Michigan and am predicted homesickness lol

Yes! We get a week off after every quarter and have a few long weekends for holidays so people do go home often.