Life after residency - AF questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afteranesthesia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems there are always an abundance of HPSP /getting into medical school threads here, but very very little life after residency or ranking your choices for active duty threads. My field is Anesthesiology, and I have many questions I've failed to find answers for especially because I'm deferred for residency in the AF. I've reached out to a consultant before with fellowship questions since quite a few options are civ sponsored fellowship spots for my specialty, but the problem is they have all moved to a match and the match happens before the HPERB comes out and spots are designated in December for approval to go after them. How am I suppose to match in a binding system without knowing if the AF will let me match yet? The consultant did not seem to understand this conundrum despite my best efforts (maybe I'm terrible at explaining the match system dates), so I'm not sure what others have done here if they wanted to do a civ sponsored fellowship prior to coming on to active duty. I'd love to connect with AF anesthesiologists somehow, but don't know how to connect to ask questions. I'd love to understand better how the ranking and finding out what base you are designated to works also. Is there anyone out there willing to discuss these questions more with me?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems there are always an abundance of HPSP /getting into medical school threads here, but very very little life after residency or ranking your choices for active duty threads. My field is Anesthesiology, and I have many questions I've failed to find answers for especially because I'm deferred for residency in the AF. I've reached out to a consultant before with fellowship questions since quite a few options are civ sponsored fellowship spots for my specialty, but the problem is they have all moved to a match and the match happens before the HPERB comes out and spots are designated in December for approval to go after them. How am I suppose to match in a binding system without knowing if the AF will let me match yet? The consultant did not seem to understand this conundrum despite my best efforts (maybe I'm terrible at explaining the match system dates), so I'm not sure what others have done here if they wanted to do a civ sponsored fellowship prior to coming on to active duty. I'd love to connect with AF anesthesiologists somehow, but don't know how to connect to ask questions. I'd love to understand better how the ranking and finding out what base you are designated to works also. Is there anyone out there willing to discuss these questions more with me?
Yeah, the consultant should be helping you. In their absence, talk to a junior staff somewhere and they should know the details. In my specialty, fellowships are offered a year and a half out so you can find time to locate a spot. Keep in mind
some places might let you in outside the match as you come funded. Chairs and PDs like funding.

And....you night want to see what the AF is like before you commit to more ADSC years.