Life > Medical School

Started by AllIveGot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
like most people said ... defer

my dad died when i was in high school ... he had terminal cancer as well ... he had 6 months to live ... i shoulda been around more than i was then ...

i dont know ur relationship with you're mom ... but shes ur mom and shes pretty soon not going to be around anymore ... your bf will (god willing of course) be around for the next 50 years ... u need to spend what time you have left with your mom ... and honestly ... the last months of her life can be your best memories with her ... being able to say goodbye ... while yes hard ... is an amazing thing ...

honestly ur bf is no biggy ... as i always say ... aint no ring, aint no thang ... i mean ... half joking here ... i know hes prolly the one for u ... but he can wait a lil more ...

so yea ... hope that helps ... ur in for a rought time wit ur mom ... but know ull look back and think that ur somewhat lucky to have the opporutnity to say goodbye!
 
I am a regular on the boards, but I've been dealing with issues that I'd like to remain separate from my other user name. I am one of the very fortunate people to have received an MD acceptance already, and I couldn't be happier. However, with the good follows the bad. My mom, a huge reason why I decided to pursue medicine, is now struggling with Stage IV breast cancer. I took this year off to spend it with her, knowing that this may be the last year I have with her. On top of this, my boyfriend of 4 years is attending medical school at a place very much out of my reach. Our hearts are set on starting a life together. We haven't gotten engaged because we want to know we can physically live together before doing so. Basically I wanted feedback on the following idea.

Is it an awful idea to refuse a medical school acceptance in order to become stable in my personal life? Stability would entail being at peace with my family situation, whether that being my mom getting better or the other inevitable possibility 🙁 Also, I don't want to spend more time away from my boyfriend, and so stability would also mean starting my life with him and waiting until after he starts his residency (2010) to reapply to medical school. I am very worried about 2 things...
1) I received a 32R on my MCAT. This was my second time taking it. If I reapply in 2010, will my score still hold up? I keep seeing the average MCAT go up, and I can't stand the thought of having to take that test again.
2) It would be my third time applying if I took this route... I'm sure that doesn't look very good.
3) How will turning down a possible acceptance look to other schools?

I haven't completely ruled out the idea of deferring my acceptance for a year, however, I know that happiness would mean being with my family or being with my boyfriend... neither of which is possible with my current acceptance option. If anyone wants to tell me I'm not passionate enough about medicine, save your breathe. I love medicine, and will never let go of my dream, but I realize that in order to attain it, I need to stay true to myself and those I love most.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.


1st off you obviously have a truly genuine heart and that should be commended 1st and foremost. As for advice, clearly advice can never really given but but I'll shar what I gathered from your post.

It sounds like you really want to get things in order, that's true to your heart but you are battling that medical school and that journey is also true to your heart. Family can never be replaced and so certainly the time you are spending with them and your mom is far more important than medical school Secoundly, in my experience I have never found a feeling of being content until I followed my heart. Others can give you direction and advice but you can only do what you gut says is right for YOU, regardless of what others will say. I can't say what is right for you, you do know what is is though. I think giving to yourself right now, to find the peace and a good place for all involved, is priceless. It will serve you greatly once you go to school and real life experience is just as valuable as any lab or any class.

You're an awesome person doing for others already and you'll make a great doctor to many people that you touch in your life.

I know that sounds cheesy but really, you have a good heart. Stay true to it for sure, you've got that right!