life of an australian/NZ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering how the lifestyle of Oz/NZ residents compare to European (UK namely) or USA residents. Read a lot about US residents having 80+ hours per week. Uk residents round 45-50/week.

So was wondering how it was on your side? Just curious...;)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course this depends on your hospital, but being based in one of the larger teaching hospitals in Sydney, my crusiest term of internship (gastro term) was 8.30am-6pm most days Mon-Fri, and my busiest term (upper GI surgery) was 7am to 7pm Mon-Fri.

There was occasional rostered overtime (after hours ward cover answering page calls from wards, which goes from about 5pm to 11pm).

Each term is 10-11 weeks in duration, and I got paid for some, but not all of the overtime.

So basically 50-60 hours per week. But now that I'm doing an emergency term with set hours, I'm rostered on for 40 hours per week, but in reality do about 45 per week due to having to stay back a little after each shift.

Registrars on the other hand, is a different story.

Thanks for your reply! All in all it's not that bad, seems compatible with an outside life ;) (which I can't imagine with a 100 h week!!!).

Could you explain what you meant about registrars??? Not sure if it's better or worse for them :confused: lol

Thanks!

You also get paid overtime for working over 40 hrs/week in Oz, right? That's unheard of in the US.