life RIGHT after pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new2pharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Immediatelt following graduation (no residency), do you go straight into the workforce? Do you get to pick your hours or are they chosen for you, and if they are, what if you don't like those hours, what if they give you like 2-10pm or some other crap schedule you hate....then what do you do?

Can't a pharmacist have a flexible schedule? I don't care where I work or how much I make, my husband has a very good job so income is not an issue. Is it possible to easily find an 8-3 or 7-3...something along those lines...right after graduation? I am not trying to work my butt off, would even do part time, just wanna use my $$$ to pay stuff off...cars, kids college, house...

After grad, we will relocate to the OKC/Tulsa Oklahoma area. Does anyone know what the outlook is in this area and if this kind of schedule is possible?

Members don't see this ad.

The benefit of pharmacy is that you can work part time. I see that you do not want to "work you butt off," but I do hope you know pharmacy school is a full time venture. Typically, you do not get to pick you own schedule, but some employers may give you a choice b/n shifts (ie 7-3, 3-11, etc...). Finally, you must consider the cost of attending pharmacy school. Working part time may not be feasable depending on your loan situation (if you have loans).

This depends on where you end up working. Most pharmacists end up working a mix of nights/evenings/weekends. I generally find that retail is more flexible with the schedule than hospital.

I've always gotten a mixture of morning and evening shifts without problem. I usually have an equal amount of each every week.