Life would be simpler if we didn't have heads and necks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mojojojo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so any tips for getting through head & neck in anatomy? I feel like I am getting SO bogged down in detail, and I feel like it's hurting my other classes because all I do is anatomy now-- and I'm still always behind in anatomy!!

I did fine on our midterms on previous info, but I could use some head & neck tips. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah the joys of Regional head and neck.. I have lots to look forward too next year.

mojojojo said:
Ok, so any tips for getting through head & neck in anatomy? I feel like I am getting SO bogged down in detail, and I feel like it's hurting my other classes because all I do is anatomy now-- and I'm still always behind in anatomy!!

I did fine on our midterms on previous info, but I could use some head & neck tips. Thanks!

I got through it by learning each lecture that same night. In each section I would learn all the bones and bone landmarks. Then muscles and where they went. Then arteries and nerves. Then I would work on getting the details. The best thing you can do is studystudystudy. Read your textbook. BRS gross anatomy isn't too bad... but it isn't quite detailed enough. It is good to read after you have been studying the material for awhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
fun8stuff said:
I got through it by learning each lecture that same night. In each section I would learn all the bones and bone landmarks. Then muscles and where they went. Then arteries and nerves. Then I would work on getting the details. The best thing you can do is studystudystudy. Read your textbook. BRS gross anatomy isn't too bad... but it isn't quite detailed enough. It is good to read after you have been studying the material for awhile.

I made sure I knew everything about the nerves- what they go through, what branches they give off, what they innervate, everything. It was really helpful on our practical, since nerves are pretty constant between bodies (unlike veins, where I felt ok just having a general idea of where the IJV and the EJV were). I found that knowing where nerves went and what they innervated led to a good understanding of the muscles, rather than just studying them separately. My best reference for head and neck was Netter- I would highlight structures that were discussed in class and make notes to help clarify, so I could use just one book instead of going back and forth with the textbook and Netters. It ended up working well for me...

------------------------------
http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=21779090

It's spaghetti, all spaghetti. . .

Yeah, I started by reading Moore (I don't know what you use) and making notes on the head and neck chapters. I then studied the cranial nerves (last chapter in Moore) and finally put it all together with the ganglia. I found on my head and neck test that innervation was EVERYTHING. The muscles are really really straightforward because of the nomenclature. Good luck!!

mules05 said:
I made sure I knew everything about the nerves- what they go through, what branches they give off, what they innervate, everything. It was really helpful on our practical, since nerves are pretty constant between bodies (unlike veins, where I felt ok just having a general idea of where the IJV and the EJV were). I found that knowing where nerves went and what they innervated led to a good understanding of the muscles, rather than just studying them separately. My best reference for head and neck was Netter- I would highlight structures that were discussed in class and make notes to help clarify, so I could use just one book instead of going back and forth with the textbook and Netters. It ended up working well for me...

good advice. yeah, i also made artery charts and nerve charts (tree diagram of flow path- especially for trigeminal n & maxillary artery). I did not spend much time on veins, except for the big ones. I found this was a good way of first learning. After I had the charts memorized, i then worked on learning their relationships within the head and different fossas. Make sure you know the contents of all the fossas and all their relationships.

I got through it by failing that test and making up for it on the next test. Head and neck sucks!

I thought Big Moore was helpful in terms of their charts. If you have time to read it, it's even better.

redstar18 said:
I thought Big Moore was helpful in terms of their charts. If you have time to read it, it's even better.

Oh man... I just got a flashback of when I sat in the library racking my brain for like 2 hours JUST trying to figure out where the stupid pterygopalatine fossa was in the skull...I thought I was going crazy!!! (My rock bottom point in med school so far :D ) Oh and the time when I thought I was going crazy trying to understand the actions of the eye muscles? *shudder*

Having said that, I agree about using Big Moore for head and neck, not only for the charts, but for their explanations of head and neck regions too...it helped me get through head and neck. Maybe it's just me, but I found some parts of head and neck to be really abstract and even though Netter is usually great, I felt that there were some views of the head and neck that were missing and I wasn't getting the full picture..(except I gotta give props to Netter for the great picture of the actions of the larynx muscles that helped me get a handle on those - plate 75). Anyway, Moore is good at filling in the gaps in Netter for the tough regions. Good luck!

Brute Force :)

Unfortunately we did head & neck FIRST! :scared:

I agree with you tho, its definitely the hardest one! I just tried really hard to keep up, because it took me awhile to get down alot of that stuff--especially the cranial nerves (which ones had eff to skeletal, afferents, pregang parasympathetic, their eventual terminations, etc etc)

Good luck studyin :luck: and keep on truckin'

-tx

mojojojo said:

http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/cn/cranial.htm <--- Cranial Nerves
http://www.neuroanatomy.wisc.edu/cn/java/cn1_1.htm <--- Cranial Nerve Quiz

Might help you out with the cranial nerves...good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the Rohen color atlas of anatomy, because it makes practicals easier; learn the 'cartoon' version in Netter, then check out what you see in the photos in Rohen. Tab ten or eleven pages that are high-yield and quiz yourself incessantly on everything you need to know, i.e. look at the picture and just start on a nerve and start mentally rattling off info. Connect organs, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels in long, multi-comma sentences with a picture in front of you. I can't learn a dang thing studying cold from a long chart ... but everyone's different.

$0.02 out!

P.S. Radiology sites are SO helpful - angiograms & MRIs are great anatomy teaching tools. Also loved Ackland's anatomy DVDs.

curlycity said:
I love the Rohen color atlas of anatomy, because it makes practicals easier; learn the 'cartoon' version in Netter, then check out what you see in the photos in Rohen. Tab ten or eleven pages that are high-yield and quiz yourself incessantly on everything you need to know, i.e. look at the picture and just start on a nerve and start mentally rattling off info. Connect organs, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels in long, multi-comma sentences with a picture in front of you. I can't learn a dang thing studying cold from a long chart ... but everyone's different.

$0.02 out!

P.S. Radiology sites are SO helpful - angiograms & MRIs are great anatomy teaching tools. Also loved Ackland's anatomy DVDs.

I second Rohen's photographic atlas. I use the same strategy as you....study what structures are supposed to like in Netter's and then look at Rohen's (which also has some drawings here and there!).....

-tx

BRS anatomy is really good, especially for head/neck. The tables summarize almost everything you need to know. Also, I thought Grant's atlas was superior to Netters when it came to head/neck....others may disagree.

I'd stay away from reading paragraphs (i.e Big Moore) for anatomy. We're talking about anatomy here folks, not something conceptual like Physiology. Anatomy is almost all memorization and with a little understanding sprinkled in.

Rohen's is good too.

G'luck.

DOCTORSAIB said:
BRS anatomy is really good, especially for head/neck. The tables summarize almost everything you need to know. Also, I thought Grant's atlas was superior to Netters when it came to head/neck....others may disagree.

I'd stay away from reading paragraphs (i.e Big Moore) for anatomy. We're talking about anatomy here folks, not something conceptual like Physiology. Anatomy is almost all memorization and with a little understanding sprinkled in.

Rohen's is good too.

G'luck.

Keep in mind that everyone learns differently. Little Moore was my best friend during anatomy and especially for head and neck!!

It's funny that you mention Rohen-- I keep thinking I understand the concepts while looking at Netter, then I open to a picture in Rohen -- and promptly scream and slam it shut.

I'm finding that drawing out diagrams of the cranial nerves really helps. I keep building on them as classes progress.

I liked the option of just failing head & neck and doing well on the rest, but unfortunately just about all of our final (which counts for about 40% of our grade) is head & neck, so that kind of eliminates that option for me. :)

I think the best way to do head and neck anatomy is to cry. Cry as much as you can.
I am a graduate assistant for a PA program and between bony structures, eye, ear, and larynx, we have spent 4 months on this material.

Note that we meet once a week. on tuesdays.

Definitely Rohen's. We are on head and neck right now, Rohen's has helped me immensely on the previous exams. Check it out, if you think it'll help you, go for it. good luck!

I go to LSU, which was once located in New Orleans. Thanks to the Katrina, we had to learn head & neck in 3 weeks! Nothing was omitted, so I pretty much was in the library for roughly 8-10 hours a day for 3 weeks. Our test was yesterday. Thank God its over!

nellish said:
I go to LSU, which was once located in New Orleans. Thanks to the Katrina, we had to learn head & neck in 3 weeks! Nothing was omitted, so I pretty much was in the library for roughly 8-10 hours a day for 3 weeks. Our test was yesterday. Thank God its over!

News flash - we are in medical school.

ms1finally said:
News flash - we are in medical school.

:confused: Hm. There's no hurricanes in MY curriculum. Unless you count the current state of my brain.