Lifestyle while in ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmc12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that OS residencies are very grueling, but how intense are ortho residencies? Are the academic requirements (studying,labwork) similar as in dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, only OS should be referred to as a "residency" as it is truly grueling. Everything else is just DS but more specific. Oh, and you can call yourself "Doctor". Woohoo.

I know that OS residencies are very grueling, but how intense are ortho residencies? Are the academic requirements (studying,labwork) similar as in dental school?

It's night and day compared to DS at least at the hospital based residency I attended. In DS you are one student out of 50-100 students. In ortho residency ... I was one student out of FOUR. In classes ... there is nowhere to hide lol. My program provided a stipend which is nice, but you are required to be on call for hospital dental emergencies and work for the program director treating his medicaid ortho patients. Things just seemed more real at residency. Again .... a hospital program is different than a traditional DS residency. I spent alot time attending the local medical school for classes. I co-existed with the OMFS residents on the same floor. We all attended some combined courses. I had responsibilities to present at a craniofacial team regarding patients with craniofacial issues. From day one ... you were required to complete a research thesis in order to graduate. So yes ..... ortho residency for myself at a stipend paying hospital program was very different than the undergrad DS I attended in the Midwest.
As for didactics .... everything was more focused towards ortho. Less fluff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most hospital residency programs don't require on-call? I only know of St Barnabas Hospital that does.

I think most hospital residency programs don't require on-call? I only know of St Barnabas Hospital that does.

Really? I was 3rd on call. 1st went to OS resident. If they did not answer the call ... next in line was GPR resident. If they were REALLY desperate ..... Ortho res got the call. Bottom line .... I was only called upon ONCE in 2 yrs.

Reactions: 1 user