Lightly Slapped the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancedancekj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was no conquering, and my scores don't really compare to the average SDNer... but here they are:
PAT: 19 (91.2)
QR: 16 (goo) (61.7)
RC: 23 (95.3)
Bio: 20 (94.5)
GC: 18 (70.3)
OC: 18 (71.0)

TS: 19 (86.8)
AA: 19 (86.2)

For teaching myself organic chemistry in two months (my professor sucked..), I'm happy with my score on that section. Still a bit low overall, but I feel that it's a solid score. I'm still worried that I'm just average though....

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

dancedancekj said:
There was no conquering, and my scores don't really compare to the average SDNer... but here they are:

For teaching myself organic chemistry in two months (my professor sucked..), I'm happy with my score on that section. Still a bit low overall, but I feel that it's a solid score. I'm still worried that I'm just average though....

What do you guys think?

Great job bro!!! :D You will definetely get in. Those are really solid scores. What is your GPA like? What and how long did you study? If you used topscore or DAT achiever, what were your scores on those? Thanks. :D

Lol, thanks. Again, GPA is nothing spectacular.. 3.45, 3.18 BCP.
I studied from about the second week in May until now. I started studying about 2-3 hours a day until the end of May, then picked it up in June. I studied intensely the past month (6-8 a day, sometimes more)or so, easing up in the last two weeks.

I used everything I could get my hands on. I'm a biology major, but I used mostly Kaplan for my biology review. I used Kaplan for gen chem and orgo, and mostly the Kaplan strategies for the PAT as well as QR. Reading is easy for me, I used the strategy of looking at the question and searching for the answer in the text.

For study materials, I relied heavily on the blue Kaplan third edition book with my regular colllege textbooks for explaining sections I didn't understand. I purchased the Topscore 3 tests, although I ended up only using 2. I also purchased a large set of Kaplan practice exams from drdmddds here on SDN.

My biggest tip to everyone studying would be to not get too hung up with the practice exams. I was not scoring well at all- the key is to learn the concepts and information demonstrated by the practice exams.

dancedancekj said:
Lol, thanks. Again, GPA is nothing spectacular.. 3.45, 3.18 BCP.
I studied from about the second week in May until now. I started studying about 2-3 hours a day until the end of May, then picked it up in June. I studied intensely the past month (6-8 a day, sometimes more)or so, easing up in the last two weeks.

I used everything I could get my hands on. I'm a biology major, but I used mostly Kaplan for my biology review. I used Kaplan for gen chem and orgo, and mostly the Kaplan strategies for the PAT as well as QR. Reading is easy for me, I used the strategy of looking at the question and searching for the answer in the text.

For study materials, I relied heavily on the blue Kaplan third edition book with my regular colllege textbooks for explaining sections I didn't understand. I purchased the Topscore 3 tests, although I ended up only using 2. I also purchased a large set of Kaplan practice exams from drdmddds here on SDN.

My biggest tip to everyone studying would be to not get too hung up with the practice exams. I was not scoring well at all- the key is to learn the concepts and information demonstrated by the practice exams.

Thanks for the the words of advice. I take the DAT on June 20th. You sound nearly identical to me in your studying (when started and how you are studying)and how you scored prior to taking the real dat. I am using the DAT Achiever along wiht kaplan, and dat destroyer. However, I am using the achiever more as understanding concepts as opposed to assessment. Anyways congrats on the DAT... I would be very pleased with those scores!

Members don't see this ad :)
MaxL221 said:
Thanks for the the words of advice. I take the DAT on June 20th. You sound nearly identical to me in your studying (when started and how you are studying)and how you scored prior to taking the real dat. I am using the DAT Achiever along wiht kaplan, and dat destroyer. However, I am using the achiever more as understanding concepts as opposed to assessment. Anyways congrats on the DAT... I would be very pleased with those scores!

Glad to hear there are others in the same boat! I think the DAT destroyer would have helped me a lot in terms of just giving me practice. It sounds like you're getting good practice at doing problems, so I think you will perform excellently. Good luck on the 20th!

dancedancekj said:

What do you guys think?
Good scores.
Ur 19 on PAT is 91.2%?? For the same score mine is only 78.6% :confused:

I took the DAT on Friday and scored about the same as you! I am feeling the same way. While my GPA is high (3.9-4.0) but I am hoping a so-so DAT of 19 won't hurt me. I was very upset at first but I then realized it could have been a lot worse. Plus, SDN by no means represents the average applicant. Also, I agree the practice tests are by no means an accurate indicator of your score. I was getting 21/22/22 on Topscore and 18s on Achiever PAT. I thought the biology section as impossible...not at all like kaplan or topscore. Oh well, its over!!!! Best of luck to you. I hope our 19s are good enough to get in!!! :)

dancedancekj said:

What do you guys think?

Anything in particular stick out in the Natural sciences or that may have caught u off guard?

MaxL221 said:
Anything in particular stick out in the Natural sciences or that may have caught u off guard?

I think that anything I didn't know was something that I should have known. Meaning that although I didn't know it, it wasn't altogether foreign. One sticks out in knowing specific neurotransmitters or something.. nit picky things like that I could have learned, but seemed kind of random in selection.

Thanks for the comments. Although solid, I just hope that a solid candidate is what my schools are looking for... I might have to retake the DAT to be *over solid* or something. Competition seems pretty intense this year. I'm not looking to go to Harvard, but it worries me.

Thanks! you did very well I would be happy with the scores.... I'm so nervous... my date is approaching very soon!