Likelihood of drug testing at interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCJKU

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping for some input. In the wonderful state I currently live, medical Marijuana is legal and I've been using it regularly. However I have a couple of interviews (for PhD Clinical programs) in states where mj is still illegal. If I am accepted into one of these programs, I of course will stop using mj at least 3 months prior to the start of the program. I'm worried that I will be drug tested at the interviews however, and even though I'm using mj legally, I know that if I were to fail the test in that state that would ruin my chances of acceptance.

So, people who have had interviews for these kinds of programs, have they ever tested you on the interview day? Please no judgments or name-calling; I'm a productive member of society/excel in my academics/etc. and I will be talking to my doctor about alternative medication during my next visit.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, hoping for some input. In the wonderful state I currently live, medical Marijuana is legal and I've been using it regularly. However I have a couple of interviews (for PhD Clinical programs) in states where mj is still illegal. If I am accepted into one of these programs, I of course will stop using mj at least 3 months prior to the start of the program. I'm worried that I will be drug tested at the interviews however, and even though I'm using mj legally, I know that if I were to fail the test in that state that would ruin my chances of acceptance.

So, people who have had interviews for these kinds of programs, have they ever tested you on the interview day? Please no judgments or name-calling; I'm a productive member of society/excel in my academics/etc. and I will be talking to my doctor about alternative medication during my next visit.

Nope, I have never heard of that. Drug testing is too expensive for places to do for *potential* hires/students when they're interviewing that many people, and I dunno if it would even be legal at that stage. But also, I've never heard of students in any program being drug tested (except for an unfortunate experience where someone was driving a state vehicle and had an accident, not their fault, and everything was fine). I've also never heard of anyone being drug tested prior to internship or postdoc for that matter (although I don't know anything about prisons or VAs, since I stick mostly to working with kids). It would be smart to abstain before start just in case, but I def wouldn't stress about it for the interview stage.

I have never heard of this being done at interviews and it didn't happen at the interviews I was invited to. Seems pretty invasive to me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay awesome, that's what I was thinking but I'm a bit paranoid about anything that could lower my chances of being accepted hahaha. Thanks guys!!

Not for graduate school, but I've definitely been drug tested for both a practicum and predoctoral internship in a hospital/AMC setting. Wasn't until closer to the start date though.

Reactions: 1 users
Strong likelihood of being tested at some point in grad school, but it certainly won't happen at the interview. You'll be talking to potential mentors about your research interests, not giving them cups of your urine.

I doubt it will be done for school admission (that would be unusual), but it will likely happen for practicum/internship or possibly at certain facilities you may need some sort of appointment at for other purposes (e.g. if doing research with population X and you need a volunteer appt). It will invariably happen the same it would for jobs - only after interviewing and deciding to hire you, would you complete this as part of the formal "HR" process.

Haha oosethegoose you're probably right ;)

Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely will be giving up the mj at least a couple of months before the fall semester starts if I am accepted. :) But I'm glad I don't have to worry about that just yet hahaha

Reactions: 1 user

They're afraid some guy named snake is going to make you steal from your mama! But seriously wth USA? Some of these PSAs are ridiculous XD

From a financial perspective, it doesn't make sense to drug test candidates until an institution is serious about hiring, so I don't think you should have a problem at the time of the interview. Once you know, you can familiarize yourself with the institution's policies and decide what to do.

Related to this, I've worked for a "smoke free" institution and it's generally understood that offers can be extended to candidates who still smoke on the condition that they comply with institutional policy by the start date.

I've never heard of a program that drug tests at interview. As other have said, it doesn't make sense. That said, there are programs that do a criminal background check at the interview stage, so....be prepared for that. Not really for this OP but for others.

I suggest maintaining copies of your prescription and other documentation just in case it comes up at a later time.

The VA did backgrounds checks on me several times when I worked there. No way in hell mmj registries aren't in there. Multiple prisons have done so as well. Most license applications that I have completed ask about drug use. One hospital drug tested me.

The VA did backgrounds checks on me several times when I worked there. No way in hell mmj registries aren't in there. Multiple prisons have done so as well. Most license applications that I have completed ask about drug use. One hospital drug tested me.
I'd be really curious to know if the registries were linked- if the registries are state by state, not federal, and technically fed and state systems currently disagree about mj laws/acceptability... I would assume they would not be linked. Driving records for minor traffic violations (speeding, etc) are not linked from state to state. Why would mj registries be, if we're having trouble getting communication between states on opiate Rxs, which are costing states/govt more money right now as far as misuse and fatalities? I wish we could get those registries talking to one another so you don't have ppl picking up Rx in 3 different states.

I doubt they are linked, but it's different than something like opiate prescriptions, which are not federally illegal. Don't use the stuff myself, but I'm all about legalizing and taxing. Take it off medical use, since it really has a very narrow medical use window, most of what it's prescribed for is bs.

I'd be really curious to know if the registries were linked- if the registries are state by state, not federal, and technically fed and state systems currently disagree about mj laws/acceptability... I would assume they would not be linked. Driving records for minor traffic violations (speeding, etc) are not linked from state to state. Why would mj registries be, if we're having trouble getting communication between states on opiate Rxs, which are costing states/govt more money right now as far as misuse and fatalities? I wish we could get those registries talking to one another so you don't have ppl picking up Rx in 3 different states.

If you want to just go standard answer, most states have a controlled substance monitoring database. If you want to go a lil paranoid, Executive Order 12333 indicates that the NSA can share information with any federal law enforcement agency including the FBI, IRS, DEA, etc.

If you're interested in federal positions (Bureau of Prisons, VA, etc.), just be aware that marijuana is illegal on a federal level and having a medical mj card/prescription will not help if your test comes up positive. I don't have strong opinions about mj use myself, but it's good for applicants to know about how the laws apply in various settings.

Okay awesome, that's what I was thinking but I'm a bit paranoid about anything that could lower my chances of being accepted hahaha. Thanks guys!!
Don't want to freak you out or anything, but this was what it looked like during our internship interviews when they called us out for random testing.
midnight-express-0.jpg

..and then they drug him away to a Turkish prison.
Midnight-Express-546.jpg

No job will drug test you in an interview. The only ones that would ever drug test you would probably be like schools, prisons, and maybe VAs

Don't want to freak you out or anything, but this was what it looked like during our internship interviews when they called us out for random testing.
midnight-express-0.jpg

..and then they drug him away to a Turkish prison.
Midnight-Express-546.jpg
My feet hurt......

No job will drug test you in an interview. The only ones that would ever drug test you would probably be like schools, prisons, and maybe VAs
Well, I don't know about that... I got drug tested before plenty of entry-level / slightly higher level jobs before going back to school. But if you're talking about a higher up professional job in the field, then yeah, you're probably right. Or if your job would have you driving a company or government vehicle.