APPIC Internship Drug Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darksideofthesun

Reaction score
For those of you who have gone through APPIC match, how soon after match day do internships typically drug test?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me you like edibles without telling me you like edibles..

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
For those of you who have gone through APPIC match, how soon after match day do internships typically drug test?
This is going to be very site specific. I was never drug tested for internship but I was for practicums. But it’s not worth risking a site over failing a drug test. If you don’t end up getting to start because of that you’d have to disclose the problem when applying the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop using drugs now and you should be fine regardless. It's a full month until match day and about six months until you'd start.

Reactions: 4 users
For my internship site I drug tested a month before starting (I think it had to be within 45 days of starting and not earlier). For fellowship I had to test three times (one to clear for initial onboarding, one for credentialing, and one for provisional trainee licensure in the state).

It’s probably advisable to stop now and remain abstinent during internship, too. At least one intern at my site was randomly drug tested during internship.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,

I'm going to start answering questions on this forum since we are getting closer to the Phase I ranking deadline and Match Day.

Sites that conduct drug testing can do so at any time -- and you should not expect to have any advance notice as to when it will happen. We have had some people get tested shortly after Match Day, although the norm is probably within a couple of months before the first day of employment. But it can occur any time after you receive the Match results (if you live far away from the site, they can ask you to visit a testing site where you live). And, one is generally given a very short window in which to conduct the testing, and failure to get it done is interpreted as a failed drug test with disastrous consequences.

Drug testing procedures are very strict. They are usually conducted by Human Resource professionals who review the results and make the decisions, and failure generally means being terminated from the internship before you even start. Internship Training Directors often have nothing to do with that process. Termination from a failed drug test happens to at least several people a year, so It's not something that I would take chances with.

Remember also the caveat that you can't assume that substance use is OK with a particular internship program EVEN if it's legal, over-the-counter, and/or you have a doctor's prescription. You can read my earlier MATCH-NEWS posting about that here.

I'm happy to answer other questions on Student Doctor, or you are welcome to contact me directly if you prefer.

Greg Keilin
(512) 410-0002
[email protected]

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Are you applying to state or federal sites? If federal...stop right the fk now (if I'm thinking you're using what you're using). Your recommendation means jack **** for full time employment with the feds (contracting is a different story...PM me if interested because it gets much more nuanced in this area with employment law).

Reactions: 2 users
Last couple places I worked we tested everyone on day one. Failure meant that you were not hired. Simple as that because of state licensing rules for any facility that works with kids under 18. Personally I prefer hiring people who abstain from intoxicants altogether.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start answering questions on this forum since we are getting closer to the Phase I ranking deadline and Match Day.

Sites that conduct drug testing can do so at any time -- and you should not expect to have any advance notice as to when it will happen. We have had some people get tested shortly after Match Day, although the norm is probably within a couple of months before the first day of employment. But it can occur any time after you receive the Match results (if you live far away from the site, they can ask you to visit a testing site where you live). And, one is generally given a very short window in which to conduct the testing, and failure to get it done is interpreted as a failed drug test with disastrous consequences.

Drug testing procedures are very strict. They are usually conducted by Human Resource professionals who review the results and make the decisions, and failure generally means being terminated from the internship before you even start. Internship Training Directors often have nothing to do with that process. Termination from a failed drug test happens to at least several people a year, so It's not something that I would take chances with.

Remember also the caveat that you can't assume that substance use is OK with a particular internship program EVEN if it's legal, over-the-counter, and/or you have a doctor's prescription. You can read my earlier MATCH-NEWS posting about that here.

I'm happy to answer other questions on Student Doctor, or you are welcome to contact me directly if you prefer.

Greg Keilin
(512) 410-0002
[email protected]
Greg, what would we do without you?? Truly thank you for all you do through this process!!
Susie

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,

Greg Keilin
(512) 410-0002
[email protected]
Hi Greg! Thank you for all you do, you are a rockstar! I have a follow-up question to this that I have researched immensely and struggled to find a clear cut answer. I live in a state where marijuana is legal. I also have a medical marijuana card, which I use to access marijuana to help with pain caused by a chronic illness I have (I only use marijuana in the evenings before bed, on days when my pain is bad). Only one of my internship sites specifically stated that they drug test and exclude marijuana from testing. My other sites I ranked do not provide any information in their brochures other than simply saying "drug testing is required" (all of my sites are in my home state where marijuana is legal). I have tried to search their websites/public information/HR to get more information about pre-employment requirements. Some sites HR departments say that they test for marijuana and may determine on a case by case basis. Others still say nothing specific about what they test for and whether a medical card is acceptable if you test positive for THC. Sites also do not make clear when testing occurs (i.e., immediately after match day, closer to the start date, etc.).

I am in a tough spot because my pain is increased when I am stressed, and obviously, the match process itself is a stressful time. I am not sure what to do and whether my use of medical marijuana (and the fact that it is legalized in my state) will be deemed acceptable by the sites I match at. It is not clear in their materials or on their organization's websites, and I am afraid to ask for fear of being negatively judged. I guess I am a bit confused as to how a site can not disclose this information but then penalize you for it after the fact? In my state, there have been court cases where this was deemed discriminatory against individuals with disabilities, though I am told I would not be protected in the "pre-employment" phase. Any insight you can provide or suggestions about how to safely acquire this information from sites without penalty would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all you do @GregK !

Last edited:
Hi,

I can totally appreciate your frustration, as the rules/laws vary from site to site and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I can't even tell you how many calls I've taken on this topic just this week.

Sites are required to disclose in advance that they administer drug tests, background checks, etc. And, as you've noticed, sites will vary in terms of the amount of information that they include in those disclosures. The best thing that I can recommend is that you contact sites directly -- often, it's easier to make calls anonymously to HR departments to learn more about the rules. You really have to ask directly for information; I recognize that's difficult and uncomfortable, but there's really no other way to get clear information other than from the specific site. It is unfortunate, but we do see several students each year who are dismissed from internships after the Match due to failures of drug tests or background investigations.

There's a lot more information about this in the MATCH-NEWS posting that I linked in my message above.

Given that the ranking deadline is just over 24 hours away, I recommend making some phone calls tomorrow to see whether you can get clarity from the sites you are planning to rank.

Greg

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I can totally appreciate your frustration, as the rules/laws vary from site to site and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I can't even tell you how many calls I've taken on this topic just this week.

Sites are required to disclose in advance that they administer drug tests, background checks, etc. And, as you've noticed, sites will vary in terms of the amount of information that they include in those disclosures. The best thing that I can recommend is that you contact sites directly -- often, it's easier to make calls anonymously to HR departments to learn more about the rules. You really have to ask directly for information; I recognize that's difficult and uncomfortable, but there's really no other way to get clear information other than from the specific site. It is unfortunate, but we do see several students each year who are dismissed from internships after the Match due to failures of drug tests or background investigations.

There's a lot more information about this in the MATCH-NEWS posting that I linked in my message above.

Given that the ranking deadline is just over 24 hours away, I recommend making some phone calls tomorrow to see whether you can get clarity from the sites you are planning to rank.

Greg
Will do! Thank you so much for your time and insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to say that, even as a longtime poster, I'm pretty starstruck that Greg K. is posting here! Thanks, please carry on.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I don’t think I ever had tests for practicums. All were APA accredited and internships was APPIC. The internship did require drug testing , however they did not include marijuana in the testing.

This was an exception not a rule unfortunately so better to play it safe.

Hi Greg! Thank you for all you do, you are a rockstar! I have a follow-up question to this that I have researched immensely and struggled to find a clear cut answer. I live in a state where marijuana is legal. I also have a medical marijuana card, which I use to access marijuana to help with pain caused by a chronic illness I have (I only use marijuana in the evenings before bed, on days when my pain is bad). Only one of my internship sites specifically stated that they drug test and exclude marijuana from testing. My other sites I ranked do not provide any information in their brochures other than simply saying "drug testing is required" (all of my sites are in my home state where marijuana is legal). I have tried to search their websites/public information/HR to get more information about pre-employment requirements. Some sites HR departments say that they test for marijuana and may determine on a case by case basis. Others still say nothing specific about what they test for and whether a medical card is acceptable if you test positive for THC. Sites also do not make clear when testing occurs (i.e., immediately after match day, closer to the start date, etc.).

I am in a tough spot because my pain is increased when I am stressed, and obviously, the match process itself is a stressful time. I am not sure what to do and whether my use of medical marijuana (and the fact that it is legalized in my state) will be deemed acceptable by the sites I match at. It is not clear in their materials or on their organization's websites, and I am afraid to ask for fear of being negatively judged. I guess I am a bit confused as to how a site can not disclose this information but then penalize you for it after the fact? In my state, there have been court cases where this was deemed discriminatory against individuals with disabilities, though I am told I would not be protected in the "pre-employment" phase. Any insight you can provide or suggestions about how to safely acquire this information from sites without penalty would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all you do @GregK !
I'm involved in training leadership at my program, and I just want to offer a word of caution about going to HR. At our institution, HR has had ton of turnover in the last several years, and they are perennially confused about psychology interns and the details of their employment relative to a "regular" employee (e.g., stipend vs. salary, what benefits they are entitled to, time off policies, etc). I'd suggest going straight to the Training Director, who will have a better handle on these things - and if not, better for them to consult with HR and get back to you as the applicant. I can imagine several scenarios in which going straight to HR would make things more (and not less) confusing.

Reactions: 1 user
That goes double if it is the VA's HR....ask me how I know. Not drug testing related, but being classified correctly, getting the correct benefits, et al. A year and a half later (during my 2nd year of fellowship) the VA was trying to get me to pay for 1.5 years of medical coverage bc they thought I was still an employee.

I can't really speak to the drug testing piece other than to say I was tested during practicum, internship, and fellowship. Background checks at all of them too (the practicum sites were all high-risk populations). Your DCT is definitely the first stop for onboarding things, and then maybe HR at the applicable site. I'm out of the loop on whether they are testing for cannabis these days, but I'd strongly suggest being smart about putting any barriers in front of yourself this far into training.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Worked in a hospital. Someone accused another intern of being on something and they were randomly drug tested. That can happen anywhere!

Last edited:
Worked on a hospital. Someone accused another intern of being on something and they were randomly drug tested. That can happen anywhere!
My significant other came in to work at our hospital one day with a bad allergic reaction and red eyes. Walked past our HR manager. The very next day she was "randomly" called to go for one. Only time it ever happened for her lol.

Reactions: 1 user
1707833432962.png

My significant other came in to work at our hospital one day with a bad allergic reaction and red eyes. Walked past our HR manager. The very next day she was "randomly" called to go for one. Only time it ever happened for her lol.
Right. Can happen to anyone, at anytime.