Limitations of a 3-year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on here so please don't hurt me too much if this has already been answered, but I'm trying to decide between USC and Midwestern Glendale. I know USC is the more prestigious and safer choice, but being able to be done with school in 3 years if I go to MWU instead is really appealing to me. Both schools also have roughly the same expenses, but what I couldn't find out was whether or not going to a school like MWU would limit my chances of getting into residencies in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Your own abilities will limit your chances for residency more than your program's length

Your own abilities will limit your chances for residency more than your program's length

There maybe some truth to this, but the big differences that could (potentially) impact your residency chances is that you have one less year to network, build bridges, get references and connections and to intern. You build rapport with people by working well with them over time, and four years is longer than three, giving you extra time to make a good (or bad) impression for references.

I think that beyond this key difference (which isn't make or break, but could be very helpful), your chances would be similar. You could always apply to residency after working full-time for a year, which would effectively negate this disadvantage if you could build good references during that timeframe.

MWU-CPG really tries to get you started thinking about residency first quarter, for the very reason that you have a year less to think about it and no summers off to do independent internships. Nearly every faculty member is doing research in some capacity, so if you think that residency might be for you, you can find a project to do. (I'm working on that very thing right now... ha.) MWU has several residency openings it has partnered to create and is working on creating more.

That being said, I have no idea how I'm going to feel about residency when I'm closer to being done with pharma school. I do wish I had a bit more time to explore possibilities, and I feel like I'm trying to keep the door open rather than work towards a goal. That's the trade-off for going to a 3 year college, though. I don't feel like having chosen my school is going to limit me in residency opportunities, but you really do have to be on top of it.

Here's an example to illustrate the time crunch: One of the best ways to get a residency is to network with the folks at the place you want to get the residency (so I hear). We choose our APPE rotation sites in the winter quarter of 2nd year - so basically a year and a half after you start school.