Limited time--study the hard stuff first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wxl31

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some advice. Pharm, micro, and anatomy (basically the subject that require rote memorization) are really difficult for me. I've gone thru these subjects already but am still doing poorly. Should I continue focusing on these or just move on to what I'm stronger at? Or do I do a complete run through of systems first and go back to these?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found that it helps to move on to reviewing other subjects while you continue doing questions on everything. My scores gradually improved on usmleworld even in the subjects i was originally poor at. There are several times when the information just sticks better after doing questions. Hope this helps a little.

I've found that it helps to move on to reviewing other subjects while you continue doing questions on everything. My scores gradually improved on usmleworld even in the subjects i was originally poor at. There are several times when the information just sticks better after doing questions. Hope this helps a little.

:thumbup: totally agree.

I agree too. If you have a few days to review at the end, you can always come back to those hard subjects and review a few things. But you do need to have an understanding of a wide variety of topics, so it doesn't make much sense to focus too much on any one thing in particular. Also, the memorization stuff will be good stuff to cram at the end anyway. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd appreciate some advice. Pharm, micro, and anatomy (basically the subject that require rote memorization) are really difficult for me. I've gone thru these subjects already but am still doing poorly. Should I continue focusing on these or just move on to what I'm stronger at? Or do I do a complete run through of systems first and go back to these?

you need to just take more time and bang out the hard core memorization for micro and pharm. just recite all the stains and what's a lactose fermenter and whats not and all the differences between various bugs until you know it cold. Then do the same for all the key drugs in the major organ systems.......because if you don't you'll just be giving away some free points.

As for anatomy...except for obvious neuroanatomy, I'd just blow it off. If you're not good at anatomy you could spend 3 days on gross anatomy and it wouldn't result in 1 extra question right. but if you spend 3 days memorizing stuff like what the virulence factors for various bacteria are or what key side effects for some of the anti-convulsants are, well thats going to get you some extra questions for sure.

you need to just take more time and bang out the hard core memorization for micro and pharm. just recite all the stains and what's a lactose fermenter and whats not and all the differences between various bugs until you know it cold. Then do the same for all the key drugs in the major organ systems.......because if you don't you'll just be giving away some free points.

Thanks for the advice. I spent a couple of mornings now just looking at Pharm over and over, and guess what? My UW score shot up 20%!!! Okay, it's gone up for only 2x50q blocks, but it's still encouraging.

I'll continue to keep tackling pharm and micro. :)