Limiting the Assistant that works for you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocWagner

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the State Medical Board of Ohio, something that will be more and more common in the future...A Physician had his license suspended for 15 days and was placed on 3 years probation.
Why?
For allowing his physician assistant practice outside of "parameters of utilization plans and /or state rules and regulations regarding physician assistants:"

You can bet this will be more and more common in the future... creates a liability risk also.

Members don't see this ad.

Finally! If someone wants to hire a PA/NP, they should take that responsibility very seriously, and ACTUALLY supervise them! I've spent time with a fair number of PAs and NPs and am always surprised by the range of skill and intelligence they possess. Some are amazing and I'd trust them with any of my patients. Others are just scary...worse than incompetent. Unfortunately, I can't say that the ratio of good vs bad is any better than 50/50. I just don't get it. Do PAs and NPs have licensure boards? If not, maybe it's time they did. At least then we'd know they have a certain level of clinical knowledge and decision making ability.

Midlevel practitioners are cheaper and more willing to follow the protocols mandated by managed care. Once you have let the genie out of the bottle there is no going back.