• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Linac based repeat srs dose

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
  1. Attending Physician
1 progressive lesion of many treated melanoma mets. Previous dose 20Gy in 1 fx a year ago. 1.5 cm now with moderate vasogenic edema.

Thinking of fractionated approach. 6Gy x 5 or 9 Gy x 3. Any consensus?

No consensus. My first choice would be surgery to confirm growth of disease as opposed to RT necrosis. If you're convinced or resection is not feasible I would do 6 Gy x 5.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

evilbooyaa

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Wake forest has some toxicity data on re-treatment:

Plan for say 18x1, evaluating minimization of composite V40 with previous treatment, then after plan is completed, change prescription to 9x3 would be my go-to.

Lamount

7+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
At a few places that I have worked, we had NSG use LITT in these circumstances... with the added benefit of obtaining a biopsy to determine necrosis vs. recurrence.

Reactions: 1 user

BobbyHeenan

7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
  1. Attending Physician
This clinical case is becoming more common. I swear pre immunotherapy I never saw this. Everyone died a year later.

All I can say is get the bevacizumab ready. Works like a charm when you’re scratching your head on necrosis vs progression 3 months later.

Reactions: 1 users

evilbooyaa

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
This clinical case is becoming more common. I swear pre immunotherapy I never saw this. Everyone died a year later.

All I can say is get the bevacizumab ready. Works like a charm when you’re scratching your head on necrosis vs progression 3 months later.

Had one patient with steroid-refractory necrosis (like 8mg BID kept her symptoms in check but couldn't wean her off at all), who refused surgery (as she'd already had at least 2-3 resections) and finally convinced a med-onc to give the Avastin. The low-dose Avastin worked like a charm. Wish it wasn't so painful to convince med-onc/neuro-onc to give it.

Reactions: 1 users

evilbooyaa

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
I mean it's not 100% but probably closer to 20-30%, which is not nothing.

Sorry to clarify - I mean the risk of necrosis after you re-treat this. Melanoma brain mets not having 100% success rate to SRS is not unexpected.

If you're not convinced it's necrosis now, then reasonable IMO to re-treat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.