linezolid length of stay data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StewardshipDude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have any local economic outcomes data on linezolid vs vanc in both skin and lung? all the data I can find is funded by pfizer. any insights about other data would be helpful. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you do your own retrospective study comparing Vanc vs. Linezolid in pneumonia and SSI at your facility and how the LOS was affected.

I say this because I think one of the main predictors of the outcome is the MRSA MIC and this is can vary greatly from institution to institution. Of course you need to evaluate the MIC methodology and the accurach.

I suggest you do your own retrospective study comparing Vanc vs. Linezolid in pneumonia and SSI at your facility and how the LOS was affected.

I say this because I think one of the main predictors of the outcome is the MRSA MIC and this is can vary greatly from institution to institution. Of course you need to evaluate the MIC methodology and the accurach.

Oh, it's already underway but was wondering if folks had their own data/perspective. Ours of course is a retro look (chart review). What jumps out early is that our overall MRSA rate is down from 08-09, but virulence is up. MICs continue to trend up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be interested in seeing your results. I want to begin a retro study to see the same thing, although my only issue is now we are starting to try telavancin now, and lack of patients may make it a little difficult to see true rates. Anyways let us know if you find anything.

I would be interested in seeing your results. I want to begin a retro study to see the same thing, although my only issue is now we are starting to try telavancin now, and lack of patients may make it a little difficult to see true rates. Anyways let us know if you find anything.

what is making you want to try telavancin? I just wasn't impressed by the studies, and I feel like they are really glossing over the nephrotoxicity.

anybody have any local economic outcomes data on linezolid vs vanc in both skin and lung? all the data I can find is funded by pfizer. any insights about other data would be helpful. thanks

I did a small MUE on linezolid last year for other reasons and was not comparing to directly to Vanco. But some info you may find interesting.

(1) IV Linezolid expenditure for our institution (600 bed level I trauma) tripled between 2008 and 2009. ($52,000 vs $154,000). 60% of the time, it was initiated by ID or Intensivist.

(2) 50 pts randomly selected. Clinical indication for initiating linezolid for VAP/HAP/HCAP was 50% and cSSSI comprised 14%. Other reasons were BJI, CAP, Intraabdominal, UTI, etc...

(3) We had isolated gm+ culture in less than 50% of the patient. And about 1/3 of the time, we had no culture growth, and was simply treating clinically.

(4) Our length of treatment for Linezolid IV was ~ 6 days.

We were more interested in whether we should allow empiric Linezolid use in HAP/VAP/HCAP ICU pt, and wasn't looking at economic outcomes, but hopefully it helps a little bit.

many thanks. it's been a long night and I am going home to sleep.