Stay full time with CVS or take 2 PRN hospital positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyDogAteMySuboxone

Reaction score
I currently have a full time position with the three letter. I also accepted a PRN position at one hospital (have not started yet). I was later contacted by another PRN hospital position that I applied for and I'm wondering whether I should take 2 PRN hospital jobs and quit CVS or just stay full time with CVS plus the one PRN hospital job.

I'm not sure at this time how many hours the PRN job will be so I'm not sure I would be able to work full time at CVS while balancing 2 PRN hospital jobs. The PRN Job that responded to me is also an on call position. I guess I would consider the 2 PRN jobs if I knew they were each going to give me full time hours combined, the problem is that with PRN jobs your hours are not guaranteed so they could technically both give me very few hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Does insurance factor into your decision at all?

Reactions: 1 user
Is insurance part of this conversation at all? Was there any mention during your interview of estimated hours? I feel like cvs will always take you back. What’s wrong being PRN at cvs and both hospitals at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how badly you need insurance vs. how badly you hate CVS

It's not just insurance but vacation/sick/holiday time, 401k, HSA, ESPP, a small amount of disability/life. Do either of the PRN jobs offer any of these? I don't see why you can't stay at CVS and do both PRN jobs and hope a full time hospital position opens up.

Reactions: 1 users
As others have mentioned: it depends on how much you need the benefits and stable income vs how much you hate working at CVS.

Do you have a working spouse that can spot your income and health insurance? If I were in your shoes, I would just take both hospital PRN jobs to cast a wider net for more opportunities. Get the experience, keep applying to full time hospital positions as you wait for one to open up at either PRN job, and maybe even take up a third PRN job if the first two do not give you enough hours.