Link to Financial Aid Calculator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TomTheK9Fixr

Univ. of Minn '15
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CALCULATOR enter figures if you dare (really you should b/c it's reality)

Income Based Repayment CALCULATOR (ahhh this makes happier) *note: check to see if your loan type will qualify

Well, after much pondering I am back to 50/50 on whether I am going to attend veterinary school.

It's my dream but paying anywhere from $1400-$2500 per month for 10 - 30 years is a BIG pill to swallow. Perhaps too big. If only salaries were higher and the economy was better.

Ay yi yi

What's making this even tougher is that my current loan payment for a masters in rehab sciences with statistically better income (per national database) is $99/month spread over 10 years
 
Last edited:
Have you looked into the income-based repayment programs? When I calculated my expected debt versus my expected income I came out to a repayment of just under $400 a month for 25 years. That seemed pretty do-able to me.
 
Have you looked into the income-based repayment programs? When I calculated my expected debt versus my expected income I came out to a repayment of just under $400 a month for 25 years. That seemed pretty do-able to me.

Yes, but be careful because they have certain criteria which have to be met. Don't just assume that you'd qualify for IBR. I have a friend with a 100k and 45k salary, he did NOT qualify.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it was mentioned in another thread that some people did not qualify for IBR. Do you know/can think of reasons why they didn't qualify? was it based on their loan amount or something about the type of loans?

I'm really trying to get a good idea of I'll qualify for this...
 
HA, my salary needs to be more than double what my actual starting salary will be so that I can make the monthly payment without experiencing economic hardship. UGH. Very depressing. I am grateful that I have a husband who will also be working when I start working as a vet (not making much since he's a new teacher, but better than nothing), but even then, we are barely going to be able to make those monthly payments without economic hardship, according to those charts.