Technology Linux???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jsscales05

Imaginary Tiger
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading up on Linux today and just wondering who utilizes this OS. How are the free apps that come with it. Seems to be that most people utilize it for the free applications you can download for it. Let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Linux is a cheap, fast, stable OS to run. To do command line stuff you will have to learn new syntax. But, if you have a distribution with a gui, it wont take you long to pick it up. The freeware apps are definitely decent. Open Office is a good free alternative to the MS office suite.

I dont use it because i like to game occasionally, and im a windows/dos baby. The analogy id use is that switching from Windows to Linux is like learning how to walk, speak, and eat all over again (at least for the advanced functions). In other words, similar functions but way different sytanx and set up.

edit- actually linux is free unless you buy a distribution of it to get a hard copy manual and cd set.

Jsscales05 said:
I was reading up on Linux today and just wondering who utilizes this OS. How are the free apps that come with it. Seems to be that most people utilize it for the free applications you can download for it. Let me know. Thanks

Most of us use it because it is more stable and flexible than Windows. Apps are good, drivers can be a problem for some homebuilt dual boot systems but I would not recommend it if you are not pretty computer literate. PM me if you have any specific questions, I have run Mandrake and Debian distros.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to ask, it's probably not for you.

I've installed it a few times on a couple of different computers (dating back to 1997). It was cumbersome to use back then, and cumbersome to use today. The benefits were more apparent back in the old days, when Windows 95/98 was crap and used to crash a lot. And Windows NT didn't run a lot of software back then so it was quite useless to most home users. But I think Windows 2000/XP is a fairly stable OS, and largely negates much of the alleged stability advantages of Linux.

The biggest problem with Linux though is that software for it is limited. There's a lot of productivity software (especially for computer techs, scientists, etc.), but for most home users it just doesn't have the applications and games that you want to run. If they give you some software at your med school, or if somebody tells you about some hot new app that just came out, chances are it won't run on Linux.

There was a lot of buzz about Linux in the late 90's on how it was a "threat to Windows dominance on desktops". But now, everyone including the most hardcore of computer nerds has given up on the pipe dream. It has it's place, but it's just not any kind of legitimate replacement for Windows for most people.

Garuda said:
There was a lot of buzz about Linux in the late 90's on how it was a "threat to Windows dominance on desktops". But now, everyone including the most hardcore of computer nerds has given up on the pipe dream. It has it's place, but it's just not any kind of legitimate replacement for Windows for most people.
True, i doubt it will take over in the home pc area. But it still used by a lot of business and research settings as an incredibly cheap NOS.
If you go XP, make sure its XP pro or corporate. XP home - :thumbdown:

if you are not heavily into computers it will cause you to poke your eyes with pencils from the frustration...

if you have no problem doing text based......try it out....personally i am too lazy 2 type all commands....digital logic was enough 4 me ....

If you want the stability and flexibility of Linux, but you don't want to deal with the unfriendly interface (unless you want to), Mac OS X runs off of a Unix distribution. Just open the terminal for a full Unix experience.

BubbleBobble said:
If you want the stability and flexibility of Linux, but you don't want to deal with the unfriendly interface (unless you want to), Mac OS X runs off of a Unix distribution. Just open the terminal for a full Unix experience.
:thumbdown:

www.lickmysweaty.com/truth/

Edit* I apologize for offending people with this post. I must WARN you that link contains some profuse vulgarity, but the pc vs mac info is quite funny and relative to the topic.

On the whole, I'd say that linux ain't ready for the masses....and i'm not sure if it'll ever be. I've been using mandrake 10 for bout a month and it's been bumpy.

a popular forum: www.linuxquestions.org

if u want to try it out, u can go to mandrake's website and try to find the download links. it's a 3 cd download @ 700mb = 2.1 gb download to try out mandrake. mandrake's probably the easiest distribution to use.

some essential apps for it include:

1. openoffice.org ~ microsoft office
2. xmms ~ winamp
3. gaim ~ AIM
4. Firefox ~ Firefox/IE
5. Thunderbird ~ Thunderbird/outlook

the biggest problem u'll run into is the lack of drivers. i.e. winmodems won't work automatically. if u use mdk 10, u can dual bot windows/linux to get a feel for how it is. as bad as people make microsoft, the xp is a pretty decent operating system if u put things into perspective. i.e. if linux, if u want a gui interface, kde gui takes up like 200mb of RAM at bootup...similarly bloated as windows.