Liquid Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshinjosh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose that you have an opened cylinder filled to the top with two equal quantities of fluids. Fluid A has a density of a and Fluid B has a density of b. If the height of the cylinder in which the fluids is x, then what is the pressure of the fluid system at the bottom of the cylinder (assume that atmospheric pressure is Patm and that gravity is g)?

(a) (bgx)/2 + (agx)/2
(b) (bgx)/2 + agx
(c) Patm + (bgx)/2 + agx
(d) Patm + (bgx)/2 + (agx)/2

I say the answer must be d, however the answer claims it to be c, anyone further explain why? Because in answer c, agx is equivalent to the pressure if the entire cylinder was filled, but only half of the cylinder is filled so it should be (agx)/2

Josh

Members don't see this ad.

I've been thinking about it and don't see a reason why the answer is C. I just finished the fluids section and thought I had a decent handle on it, and I agree with you. The answer didn't come with more of an explanation? Cause now I'm confused!

thanks
steve

where did you get this problem from? Sometimes the authors don't check them and make mistakes. But I agree with both of you, I thought I was good at fluids (maybe i really suck at them) but I also got D as the answer. Did they give a reason why?