List Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr4b

Reaction score
Thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you could just add a few schools in the top 30 that you feel are a good match. I hear that Penn is a stat ho so they might be interested in you, same with chicago (dont quote me on those though)

Reactions: 1 user
Remove UCR unless you are from that region. You could add any of these schools:
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Pittsburgh
Duke
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely remove
CA School of Science and Med
Cal NorthState

Do you have any connections to MA? If not, probably a waste. Why Umass without Harvard, Yale, etc?

Do you have any connections to MA? If not, probably a waste. Why Umass without Harvard, Yale, etc?
So as I said, a little overwhelmed by the list making process: but I'd heard the advice "look for places with programs that interest you" and for umass it was the wilderness medicine elective. No opposition to Harvard, Yale etc- I just assumed they would want pubs etc. But no, no ties to MA, so thanks for the heads up!

Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Pittsburgh
Duke
I am not from the UCR region but am interested in in working underserved areas, would that be taken into consideration or is it not worth it?
Thanks for the other suggestions, I will spend some time looking into them!

Definitely remove
CA School of Science and Med
Cal NorthState
because yield-protection or..? I really like CA which is why I was keeping them on there even though the avgs are low

because yield-protection or..? I really like CA which is why I was keeping them on there even though the avgs are low
With your stats and ECs you don't need to apply to two newbies.

I believe you need to be from the UC region or attended college there.
Oh I had no idea, thank you! This reminds me: Washington/Oregon/Utah/Nevada/New Mexico- I really would love to live in these places but I know they love in-state/WAMI/not CA, would any be worth trying for?

Oh I had no idea, thank you! This reminds me: Washington/Oregon/Utah/Nevada/New Mexico- I really would love to live in these places but I know they love in-state/WAMI/not CA, would any be worth trying for?
You can live in those states when you do your residency or afterwards. New Mexico admitted only 2 non residents last year. U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in then Northwest and the majority of that small number appear to be MD-PhD applicants. The Nevada schools only 7 non residents for each school.

You can live in those states when you do your residency or afterwards. New Mexico admitted only 2 non residents last year. U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in then Northwest and the majority of that small number appear to be MD-PhD applicants. The Nevada schools only 7 non residents for each school.
Thanks for putting it into perspective, I won't waste my time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Washington, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada have a similar vibe to AZ if youre interested in that. U of A takes more students from Cali than those states you listed. Mayo AZ could be an option.

Keeping your tuition, California, and service preferences in mind, it seems like Kaiser is a solid fit which you arent going to have to worry about yield protection.

I think you can try some of the higher tier schools if you're interested in them. You have the luxury of picking schools based on location, mission, and academic environment so you might as well add the ones you like. Don't worry about being dropped by a few of them. You'll likely get an interview to a few top ten schools if you apply to all of them, that's the numbers game part of applying. But you can't tell which ones will bite and which won't.

Other than that it seems like you could find a fit in UCSF given the academic environment. At this level of statistics the issue will not be with selecting your school list very carefully. If you apply to twenty youll get enough interviews to have a great great chance at an acceptance. Be as picky with your twenty as you want.

Washington, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada have a similar vibe to AZ if youre interested in that. U of A takes more students from Cali than those states you listed. Mayo AZ could be an option.

Keeping your tuition, California, and service preferences in mind, it seems like Kaiser is a solid fit which you arent going to have to worry about yield protection.

I think you can try some of the higher tier schools if you're interested in them. You have the luxury of picking schools based on location, mission, and academic environment so you might as well add the ones you like. Don't worry about being dropped by a few of them. You'll likely get an interview to a few top ten schools if you apply to all of them, that's the numbers game part of applying. But you can't tell which ones will bite and which won't.

Other than that it seems like you could find a fit in UCSF given the academic environment. At this level of statistics the issue will not be with selecting your school list very carefully. If you apply to twenty youll get enough interviews to have a great great chance at an acceptance. Be as picky with your twenty as you want.
Thanks for the response! Yes unfortunately my prereqs don't really align with UofA and I've considered cramming them in but I'm just not sure it's worth it. That was what I was thinking with Mayo though!
Thanks for the insight and positivity about my app, I really hope you're right! :)

I believe you need to be from the UC region or attended college there.

They definitely have a strong regional bias (Inland Empire) and preference for UCR undergrads, but you do not NEED to be from the IE or go to UCR undergrad to get in there. In my opinion, you probably do not need to apply to UCR, because I'd imagine you'll have opportunities at more prestigious schools, but if you want to stay in CA and would be content attending a more community focused program that is very primary care focused, then I don't see why you wouldn't apply.

How the heck can you be “scared”. Too many of you hi achieving pre meds don’t recognize success when it hit you over the head. You WILL get into medical school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
With your stats, approach it like getting married (like the Bachelor/ette). You can't go to all the medical schools in the country so you have to choose the one that will be best for you and avoid the ones that won't support you once the sheen of being in medical school wears off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Dude, you're golden if not platinum. You are competitive at any school in the country, Harvard included. Shoot high: top 20s, your state schools, and maybe half a dozen mid-tiers. @Goro might have a list kicking around of schools that like high stats like yours.

Your stats are well north of the median at every school in the country and your MCAT is above the 90th percentile.

Reactions: 1 users
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Pittsburgh
Duke
Hey! here I am last-minute finalizing my list before transmission and I'm curious about brown. I really liked them when looking into their info, but now I'm seeing a lot of talk about "low-yield" or some sort of Brown undergrad preference. Is this school worth applying to for me?

Brown has a program where they accept 45+ from their own undergraduates. However, they accept ~85 through AMCAS. I estimate they offer interviews to approximately 7% of applicants who complete secondaries. Definitely worth applying to with your stats.

Brown has a program where they accept 45+ from their own undergraduates. However, they accept ~85 through AMCAS. I estimate they offer interviews to approximately 7% of applicants who complete secondaries. Definitely worth applying to with your stats.
thank you so much!