LIST: MCAT mnemonics and memory aids!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mnemonics are essential to survival in med school, and I think they would be useful on the MCAT as well.

Let's make a list of good MCAT mnemonics to help remember details!

Some of these may be too detailed but some may actually help us remember something thats always confused us. If it works we should get a good list of mnemonics to be able to print out so we can study the ones we like for the MCAT. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the thread and then "show printable version" :thumbup:

Some I know off the top of my head:

CUT Pye: Cytosine, uracil, and thymine are PYramidines.
Pure As Gold: Guanine and Adenine are Purines.

Never Let Monkeys Eat Bananas:
Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils

Maggie May Does Not Smoke: Hardy weinberg requires no:
Mutation
Migration
(genetic) Drift
Nonrandom mating
Selection

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
myry said:
I thought voltaic=galvanic and the anode here is neg, whereas the electrolytic cell has a positive anode.

I looked it up in my general chemistry review book and you are right.
  • Volatic = Galvanic = Discharging
    Electrolytic = Charging

For discharging systems (like batteries), the anode is negative and the cathode is positive.
For charging systems (like capacitors in electrophoresis), the anode is positive and the cathode is negative.

No matter what type of electrochemical cell, oxidation occurs at the anode, reduction occurs at the cathode, and electrons flow from the anode (where they are lost via oxidation) to the cathode (where they are gained in reduction).

They have a great way of thinking about it that's worth reading if you have access to their general chemistry book (book 2).

Last edited:
Pembleton said:
Longitudinal waves move parallel to the source. I think of the the two l's at the end of the word 'longitudinal' as the symbol for parallel lines.

Transverse waves move perpendicular to the source. I think of a capital 'T' as being an upside down perpendicular symbol.

wow i love this one! being big on visual aids...this works great!

one more from kaplan:
to remember the order of sperm forming/leaving the body:

SEVEN UP
semen-epididymis-vas deferens-ejaculatory duct-nothing (stupid i know)-urethra-penis

I found a couple of interesting sites that have useful and creative mnemonics to help memorize various pieces of info for the MCAT. I just did a google.com search for "mcat mnemonics".

This was probably the most useful and thorough of the first 20:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/5092/mnemMCAT.html

Just thought those of you trying to stuff your brains with all the info you can during this last week (like me) might find it useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
After looking at this list, this leads me to a question. I am getting ready to take the 2nd part of bio(bio 2). But from my early guess, I dont think they will be talking about diseases and I'm seeing all these Mnemonics for disease symptoms like Bilateral Hilar Adenopathy, Cancer Warning Signs, Malignant Melanoma Warning Signs...etc. I'm knew to the mcat, but do we really have to know these????

shaq786 said:
After looking at this list, this leads me to a question. I am getting ready to take the 2nd part of bio(bio 2). But from my early guess, I dont think they will be talking about diseases and I'm seeing all these Mnemonics for disease symptoms like Bilateral Hilar Adenopathy, Cancer Warning Signs, Malignant Melanoma Warning Signs...etc. I'm knew to the mcat, but do we really have to know these????

Actually, that link has MCAT mnemonics and other mnemonics for med school subjects such as anatomy. Just stick with the MCAT mnemonics page and you are safe.

Hey, I don't know if this thread has ever been made, but I was hoping people would post their mnemonics that use to help people retain info for the MCAT. :)

TurkeyMan used the phrase PUSHDoG to tell the functions of the liver... That was great! :laugh: I will try and find the post and put it on this tread.

Anyway, study hard and kick this exams butt!!! :thumbup:

==========================================================

Here's TurkeyMan's Mnemonic!:

"I don't know why I remember the functions of the liver like this, but I do
My little pneumonic device is PUSHDoG

Protein Synthesis
Urea Production
Storage
Hormone synthesis
Detoxification
Glucose and fat metabolism

yeah that probably didnt help but urea productions is one of the major functions of the liver"

hahahah :D

Hmmmmm, I can't think of any others right now ;0

OOH wait

the hormones secreted by the anterior pituitary:
FLATPiG
FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)
LH (Luteinizing Hormone)
ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone)
TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone)
Prolactin
Growth Hormone

All my mnemonics have animals inthem :p

This is in regards to DNA/RNA - purines, pyrimidines, etc.

King TUC (tut) is buried in a PYRAMID (Thymine, uracil and cytosine are all pyramidines).

Or - Pyramids are sharp so they will CUT you.

AG should be PURE (Adenine and Guanine are purines).

firebird69guy said:

Another thing you can think of...'Pure Silver'

The symbol for silver is 'Ag' and 'Pu' from pure indicates purine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q=mc(delta)t

or

Q = MCAT (the delta looks like an A ;))

Kaplan taught SEVEN-UP as the guide to the sperm pathway through male reproductive tract

Seminiferous tubules
Epididymis
Vas deferens
Ejaculatory duct
N(othing)
Urethra
Penis

firebird69guy said:
This is in regards to DNA/RNA - purines, pyrimidines, etc.

King TUC (tut) is buried in a PYRAMID (Thymine, uracil and cytosine are all pyramidines).

Or - Pyramids are sharp so they will CUT you.

For this one I just think PUGA-2 and PYCT-1 (piked one)
Guanine, Adenine are purines with two rings
Cytosine, Thymine are pyrimidines with one ring

"Pumpkin," or PUMP K+ IN for the sodium-potassium pump.

3 Na+ out
2 K+ in

anybody have a good one for the "big five" and the hybirdization stuff (sp3) or orgo equations? i cant remember some of them for dip. :confused:

hotdawg said:
anybody have a good one for the "big five" and the hybirdization stuff (sp3) or orgo equations? i cant remember some of them for dip. :confused:

I just wrote them out like this:

D = average velocity * time (easy to remember) (d=vt)
V = vo+at (like a boat)
D = v0t + 1/2at^2 (you need to add the last term since v0t is "ZERO")

D = vt - 1/2at^2 (you need to subtract the last term since vt is NOT zero)
V^2 = v0^2 +2ad (pretty easy to remember)

The DVD DV helps me out... I picture that in my head, then just go down the list. You only TRULY know them if you can just write them out from scratch. Just practice writing DVD DV like that, then fill in the blanks.. That's how I learned them - I couldn't remember them "from dip" either! =)

Happy studying guys

:D

Notice how the "O" in hyp-o-tonic looks like a swollen cell :laugh: (from Kaplan's MCAT comprehensive review).

Bhavesh said:
Wow, that has almost everything.

But it didn't have this: Notice how the "O" in hyp-o-tonic looks like a swollen cell :laugh: (from Kaplan's MCAT comprehensive review).

actually, thats not a very good mnemonic, its confusing because a cell would become swollen if its environment was hypotonic. if the cell was hypotonic, then that doesnt mean that its necessarily swollen...

Well I don't know if this will help anyone but this was my way for memorizing the following:

Eating is M.E.S.S.I

because the food passes throught the

M = mouth
E = Esophagus
S = Stomach
S.I. = Small intestine

Secondly, I remember the following to determine which types of proteins are made on which type of ribosomes:

BRIM GERL

Bound Ribosomes = Integral Membrane, golgi, ER, Lysosome

No Class Monday oR Friday = Proteins of nucleus, cytoplasm, mitochondria = free ribosomes

On a side note about Purines

AG = angels of god are pure like purines

a side note about purines and pyrimadines....just remember that all pyrimadines have Y's in it...cYtosine and ThYamine... forget the mneumonics for these

and the bigger the word the less number of rings

ofcourse just remember thatin RNA...the T-->U but you wouldn't be premed if you didn't know that :rolleyes:

firebird69guy said:
I just wrote them out like this:

D = average velocity * time (easy to remember) (d=vt)
V = vo+at (like a boat)
D = v0t + 1/2at^2 (you need to add the last term since v0t is "ZERO")

D = vt - 1/2at^2 (you need to subtract the last term since vt is NOT zero)
V^2 = v0^2 +2ad (pretty easy to remember)

The DVD DV helps me out... I picture that in my head, then just go down the list. You only TRULY know them if you can just write them out from scratch. Just practice writing DVD DV like that, then fill in the blanks.. That's how I learned them - I couldn't remember them "from dip" either! =)

Happy studying guys

I like this one! Thanks! :thumbup:

These were the equations I was worried about how to memorize, but this lays it out :D

Does AnyOne remember a Thread posted last year that had a whole crap load of MCAT mnemonics? Those were really, really, really helpful.

But if not, we can start one right now.

STRONG ACIDS (in order of decreasing acidity)::

HI - I
HBr - Bring
HCl - Cans of
HClO4 - Coca
HClO3 - Cola
H2SO4 - So
HNO3 - No

Mine are pretty sexual, so dont read further if you think youre gonna get offended..

When i think of the pancreas, i think of GIS (pronounced gizz)
alpha cells- Glucagon
beta - Insulin
delta Somatostatin

also, i can remember shwann cells vs oligodendrocytes by remembering that schwann likes penis, so he works in the PNS. My apologies, Mr. Schwann. :p

Seven up will never be the same
mnemonic for the sperm's pathway: seven up (From kaplan. I hope I'm not breaking copyright laws)

seminiferous tubules
epididymis
vas deferens
ejaculatory duct
(nothing)
urethra
penis

Manyak222 said:
Mine are pretty sexual, so dont read further if you think youre gonna get offended..

When i think of the pancreas, i think of GIS (pronounced gizz)
alpha cells- Glucagon
beta - Insulin
delta Somatostatin

also, i can remember shwann cells vs oligodendrocytes by remembering that schwann likes penis, so he works in the PNS. My apologies, Mr. Schwann. :p

the way i always remembered schwann cells was in the PNS was that "P" and "S" are close to each other in the alphabet.

There are a bunch of these in old posts...someon should go back and bump them up.

I got these off a website, but can't rememeber which ones. Attached as a word document.

Attachments

• mnemonics.doc
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,247
For the inner ear bones: never MIS:

Maelus, Incus, Stapes.

For the heart valves:

TurnPike, Many, Accidents: Tricuspid, Pulmonic, Mitral, Aortic

To remember which side the spleen is on and not get it mixed up with the gallbladder: Think of a snake

SSSSSS

Stomach, Spleen.

Of course there is the classic one for biology:

Kinky People Cry Out for Great Sex:

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Genus
Species

One more to add:

This should be basic enough anyhow. However, just in case you forget, to remember which RNA pol encodes which kind of RNA, I have the following:

1, 2, and 3 respectively = Road Map and Trails (rRNA, mRNA, and tRNA)

Also, for order of patterns of electronegativity in decreasing order:

F O N Cl Br I S H

The mneumonic for that is Phone Call Brandy IS Coming Home. My MCAT teacher taught me that one. Also the reason for Phone as a word, is because FON looks like Phone.

bumping this since it has links to 2 other threads like this. Makes bio easier to deal with.

jtank said:
actually, thats not a very good mnemonic, its confusing because a cell would become swollen if its environment was hypotonic. if the cell was hypotonic, then that doesnt mean that its necessarily swollen...

OK, how about this? Hypo --- hippo. In a hypotonic environment the cell becomes swollen like a "hippo" to the extent that it lyses (bursts). :eek: :laugh:

F O N Cl Br I S H

The mneumonic for that is Phone Call Brandy IS Coming Home. My MCAT teacher taught me that one. Also the reason for Phone as a word, is because FON looks like Phone.

Not to steal your thunder guju, but I remember "FONCl" (like uncle) "and sometimes FONCl 'S BR" (and sometimes foncl's brother - sulfur and bromine). Hope that helps.

A more involved Chemistry mnemonic:

Don't forget R.I.C.E. tables for figuring out concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium, given balanced reaction equation, initial concentrations, and equilibrium constant. Give or take a few pieces of info.

RICE = reactants, initial concentrations, change, equilibrium concentrations.

Um nah this is probably to involved to be on the test.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
Of course there is the classic one for biology:

Kinky People Cry Out for Great Sex:

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Genus
Species

EmT2, I heard Keep People Chatting Or forGet and Smile. Musta been a shy one. But yours is deck ;)

Took the mcat, here

Krebs Cycle Chemicals:

Cum
In her
A
S
S then
F***
Some
M o re

To shop for capacitors go to

Q=VC

Kings Play Chess On Fat Guys Stomachs

what do these mnemonics mean? I understand the Q=VC but not sure what CIASSFSMO is except for maybe Oxygen as the final electron acceptor. Help me out.

:)

AStudent said:
Took the mcat, here

Krebs Cycle Chemicals:

Cum
In her
A
S
S then
F***
Some
M o re

To shop for capacitors go to

Q=VC

Kings Play Chess On Fat Guys Stomachs

Those are the intermediates in the krebs, in order. It reads as one long sentence.

Citrate
Isocitrate
Alpha keto gluterate
Succinyl CoA
Succinate
Fumerate
Malate
Oxaloacetate

krebs.png

stoleyerscrubz said:
what do these mnemonics mean? I understand the Q=VC but not sure what CIASSFSMO is except for maybe Oxygen as the final electron acceptor. Help me out.

:)

AStudent said:
Those are the intermediates in the krebs, in order. It reads as one long sentence.

Citrate
Isocitrate
Alpha keto gluterate
Succinyl CoA
Succinate
Fumerate
Malate
Oxaloacetate

krebs.png

Can
I
(alpha) Keep
Selling
Sex
For
Money
Officer

Not really sure how relevant this will be on the MCAT or if it will even be on there at all but here it is:

four F's of the hypothalamus:
Feeding
Fighting
Fleeing
Reproduction...

jtank said:

you would never refer to the cell as "hypotonic". when you are talking about hypotonic/hypertonic, it refers to the solution the cell is in. so, when you say that when you add a RBC to water, the water is hypotonic --> it has less solute than inside the RBC. all the water would rush into the cell, causing it to swell (hense, the "O" in hypotonic). That's how you can remember that a hypotonic solution is an a solution of comparably LESS solute.

jennifermov said:
you would never refer to the cell as "hypotonic". when you are talking about hypotonic/hypertonic, it refers to the solution the cell is in. so, when you say that when you add a RBC to water, the water is hypotonic --> it has less solute than inside the RBC. all the water would rush into the cell, causing it to swell (hense, the "O" in hypotonic). That's how you can remember that a hypotonic solution is an a solution of comparably LESS solute.

excellent clarification...thanks!

Thanks AStudent! I just opened my bio textbook and my EK bio book to cellular respiration to memorize this once and for all. I checked this thread for a mnemonic on that so you just saved me some time.

classification for humans:
Antropology Can Make People Hate Helping the Sick
Anamalia Cordata Mamalis Primate Hominidae Homo Sapien.

subphylum is vertebrata

King Phillip Climbed Over Fence Got Shot

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Fence
Genus
Species[/QUOTE]

Hi MCAT Ass Kickers:

Can anyone post the mnemonic they have for the function of the liver...i forgot how it goes...

Also if anyone has any mnemonics on the kidney that would be great as well.

Thanks Fellow Future Doctors! :D