List of non-visa friendly EM programs please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flyguymai

Clinical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow EMers,

I'll be submitting my applications into ERAS next week for residency in EM and would really appreciate any advice you can provide!

I am a Canadian by nationality, but study medicine in Ireland. I consider myself fairly 'competitive' for the match except for these two big ticks--non-American IMG.

I have heard from past applicants about some programs not being IMG-friendly or VISA friendly. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could elaborate on this, so that I can save money and time. I know there's the saying, 'you won't know unless you try' but I think its made very clear by some programs that they are not interested in sponsoring visas etc. I've been through the program information for ~100 programs already, but for some reason, did not take this into account at the time.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow EMers,

I'll be submitting my applications into ERAS next week for residency in EM and would really appreciate any advice you can provide!

I am a Canadian by nationality, but study medicine in Ireland. I consider myself fairly 'competitive' for the match except for these two big ticks--non-American IMG.

I have heard from past applicants about some programs not being IMG-friendly or VISA friendly. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could elaborate on this, so that I can save money and time. I know there's the saying, 'you won't know unless you try' but I think its made very clear by some programs that they are not interested in sponsoring visas etc. I've been through the program information for ~100 programs already, but for some reason, did not take this into account at the time.

Cheers!

Might be better to contact the programs you are interested in and ask directly. Unless you were thinking of applying to every program.

As a Canadian citizen who is an EM resident in a US residency, I know it is tricky to navigate the visa issue. I found it difficult to get straight answers, and I am a graduate of an American medical school.

However, you need to be a bit more specific in what you are looking for... Are you interested in H1B visas only? or would you consider a J1 visa? Most programs will sponsor a J1 visa, as there is very little the program needs to do, and no financial burden on the program. An H1B, on the other hand, costs the program some money. For the differences between the two, you can do a quick search here on SDN or google it. The H1B (which is what I have) does have several advantages, but if all you need is permission to do residency here, a J1 will work fine.

Once you decide which visa types you will consider, look at webpages of programs you are interested in. If you can't find the information on the EM web pages, look at other residency programs at the same institution. Family medicine websites often specify this information. As institutional policies usually govern the visa process, it will usually be the same for any residency program. If you can't find the information there and the program is linked to a university, call the university's international office and ask them. Finally, you could call the program directly.

You will also specify on ERAS the visa categories that you would consider, and hopefully programs won't interview you unless they offer one of your visa choices.

Rather than asking which programs are non-visa friendly, it may be easier to ask about specific programs, and if people are aware of their visa policies.

Good luck!