List of pharmacy schools that go strictly off of your prerequiste GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chada618

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I apologize if this has already been posted. I have searched and yet to find a compiled list of an official and unofficial list of schools that ONLY look at pre req courses. Schools that I have researched that seem to fit this criteria. Please correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to add...

Xavier
UF
UGA
Ole Miss
Temple
Ferris State
Wayne State
USN
UMD-Eastern Shores

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing Wayne State on this list makes me nervous bc I only have a 3.2 prereq GPA. I haven't taken microbiology yet or calculus so hopefully it will go up during this fall semester, but those grades will come out around the time of my interview :xf:

My PCAT score is an 88 though... Should I be worried?

Also, what are you basing your list off of? Personal experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing Wayne State on this list makes me nervous bc I only have a 3.2 prereq GPA. I haven't taken microbiology yet or calculus so hopefully it will go up during this fall semester, but those grades will come out around the time of my interview :xf:

My PCAT score is an 88 though... Should I be worried?

Also, what are you basing your list off of? Personal experience?

lol. you're worried cause you've got a 3.2 prereq gpa and 88 pcat score? i know people that got into pharm school with both 3.0 prereq gpa or less and a lower pcat score than you. you'll get into the pharm school of your choice.

Firstly, I apologize if this has already been posted. I have searched and yet to find a compiled list of an official and unofficial list of schools that ONLY look at pre req courses. Schools that I have researched that seem to fit this criteria. Please correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to add...

Xavier
UF
UGA
Ole Miss
Temple
Ferris State
Wayne State
USN
UMD-Eastern Shores

If we were to retake our Pre-reqs do these schools look at the higher Pre-req grades or the average of two? Does anyone know if there are any pharm schools do that? Thanks.

If we were to retake our Pre-reqs do these schools look at the higher Pre-req grades or the average of two? Does anyone know if there are any pharm schools do that? Thanks.

why not just call each school you're interested in applying to and ask them this question?

Wayne State doesn't just look at your prereq gpa. they look at both the overall gpa and the prereq one. The prereq. one is the one that matters most though.

lol. you're worried cause you've got a 3.2 prereq gpa and 88 pcat score? i know people that got into pharm school with both 3.0 prereq gpa or less and a lower pcat score than you. you'll get into the pharm school of your choice.

Really?? I'm in that same boat. Which schools should I be looking to apply to?

Really?? I'm in that same boat. Which schools should I be looking to apply to?

when i applied my stats on pharmcas were a 3.0 gpa (although the gpa at my college was a 3.2) and a 60% on the pcat. i applied to university of connecticut sop, albany college of pharm and health sciences, mass college of pharm and health sciences(worcester), university of maryland-baltimore, south university, and mercer university. i got into uconn, acphs, and umb (i was put on waiting list). didn't get into mcphs but i think that's cause i screwed up during my interview but i know someone else with similar stats to mine that got into mcphs. i declined interviews at south university and mercer university. imo as long as you've got at least a 3.0 gpa and 60% pcat you'll get an interview. whether you get into the school or not depends on how well you impress your interviewers. hopefully that helps.

when i applied my stats on pharmcas were a 3.0 gpa (although the gpa at my college was a 3.2) and a 60% on the pcat. i applied to university of connecticut sop, albany college of pharm and health sciences, mass college of pharm and health sciences(worcester), university of maryland-baltimore, south university, and mercer university. i got into uconn, acphs, and umb (i was put on waiting list). didn't get into mcphs but i think that's cause i screwed up during my interview but i know someone else with similar stats to mine that got into mcphs. i declined interviews at south university and mercer university. imo as long as you've got at least a 3.0 gpa and 60% pcat you'll get an interview. whether you get into the school or not depends on how well you impress your interviewers. hopefully that helps.

I'm assuming your interviews went well ;). What's your advice on interviews? And how were your healthcare/pharmacy experience, extras, etc.

hi, i am applying to MCPHS, and i haven't taken my PCAT.
If you don't mind answering, can you tell us how did you mess up at the interview?

I'm assuming your interviews went well ;). What's your advice on interviews? And how were your healthcare/pharmacy experience, extras, etc.

yea my interviews were ok. before the interview read the interview feedbacks on this site for the schools you'll be interviewing at. also do a mock interview before your actual interview cause it helps. google "pharmacy school interview questions" to get an idea of what types of questions you'll hear in your interview. be calm during the interview and think before you answer any questions.

i volunteer at a hospital and have been doing this for 3-4 years. all i do is wheel patients from room to room. i also volunteer at a soup kitchen and have been doing so for 6-7 years. i don't have much pharm-tech experience maybe 2 weeks tops.

hi, i am applying to MCPHS, and i haven't taken my PCAT.
If you don't mind answering, can you tell us how did you mess up at the interview?

i was asked a question about one of my most memorable moments during my time volunteering at a hospital and my response was really stupid. i didn't take my time to digest the question and come up with a good response.

No school is going to focus ONLY on your pre-reqs and GPA. Usually if they don't require the PCAT, your coursework will play a big factor, but it won't be the deciding factor. Schools love applicants that are well rounded (lots of ECs, leadership experiences, volunteering, work experience, research experience etc). Just wanted to point that out. Good luck this app cycle.

ferris state looks at pcat and also at overall gpa. they just focus more on pre-req. gpa than overall but pcat is very important also

UF cares about PCAT. Any school that requires the PCAT cares about it lol I don't understand the OP's question at all.

UF cares about PCAT. Any school that requires the PCAT cares about it lol I don't understand the OP's question at all.

I have spoken with several adcoms at UF and they all report the same thing. The PCAT is a screening tool, they do not use it to decide between candidates the way some people seem to think they do. As long as you make the cutoff, they don't seem to care to much about acing vs just scraping by. Of course when I say several I mean like 3 or 4. The others could easily feel differently. But no one I talked to cared about it, other than making the cutoff.

No school is going to focus ONLY on your pre-reqs and GPA. Usually if they don't require the PCAT, your coursework will play a big factor, but it won't be the deciding factor. Schools love applicants that are well rounded (lots of ECs, leadership experiences, volunteering, work experience, research experience etc). Just wanted to point that out. Good luck this app cycle.

^^^ This. A decent GPA and PCAT alone will not get you in to many schools. Academically gifted people are a dime a dozen. Well-rounded people are much more competitive.