List of Residency Programs with Great Atmospheres

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singingpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a list of residency programs that have really good atmospheres, supportive faculty, happy residents, great benefits, etc.

Add away!

Members don't see this ad.

how about general surgery

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Agree with WingedScapula.
However, I do remember seeing some surgery residents looking fairly happy and sitting down to eat lunch @Baylor U Medical Center in Dallas, TX. This is unusual, for those of you who are curious...but that was just my impression and I don't have personal knowledge of their program.

Whatever! My program organizes a weekly campfire, S'mores, kumbaya outing during which time all of the residents are protected and our chair personally answers our pages!!!!

UT-Southwestern for GS residency - old school, serious, calm attendings. UT-San Antonio and Santa Barbara Cottage for IM - both have beautiful facilities in nice areas with friendly people.

I bet you could find at least one person at just about every residency program to speak positively about the program. The Germans in WWII were always able to find some collaborators among the prisoners at their prison camps and the attendings are generally able to find at least one collaborator among the residents as well. In fact the top collaborator is often chosen as chief resident.

Let me clarify- I am a first year medical student now. I have heard of several hospitals/medical systems that go out of their way to provide work-life balance programs and resident benefits across GME programs (Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc.). I was hoping you could list any others you feel deserve kuddos!

I bet you could find at least one person at just about every residency program to speak positively about the program. The Germans in WWII were always able to find some collaborators among the prisoners at their prison camps and the attendings are generally able to find at least one collaborator among the residents as well. In fact the top collaborator is often chosen as chief resident.

LOL. Like "The Hoff" says on America's Got Talent, "You nailed it man."

Let me clarify- I am a first year medical student now. I have heard of several hospitals/medical systems that go out of their way to provide work-life balance programs and resident benefits across GME programs (Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc.). I was hoping you could list any others you feel deserve kuddos!
-

Something to consider, though, is that those programs are very fellow heavy. How much is providing "work-life balance" versus there just isn't anything for the residents to do because the fellows are doing it all? I don't know the answer, but it warrants consideration, as that is one of the main criticisms I've heard (from several people) about those types of programs.

Here was the promo video to my residency program-

[YOUTUBE]oueXXv4beQ0[/YOUTUBE]

Unfortunately there's very little "life" to be found in Rochester, MN, and not that much to be found in Cleveland, OH either!