List of schools for sub 3.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tosu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

These last couple of days I've been researching different dental schools to see which ones I could have a chance for/should throw my money at, and I wanted to get some of your guys' opinions on it. So, to give you guys the gist, I have a 2.99 cGPA with a science GPA of a 2.75. I also just recently retook the DAT and got a 22 AA/TS (from a 19) as well as a 20 PAT (from a 16), with no score lower than a 20. Now I know what you're already thinking and yes, I realize that both of those GPAs are way too low and my DAT can't compensate for it. Because of that, I have enrolled in a masters program in Biotechnology at Rush University that is very science heavy. It's one of those special masters programs that lasts a year and is geared towards students like me who need to prove to adcoms that we could handle the workload involved in dental school. Also, my science GPA doesn't have that many credits under its belt so it'll be easy to move up if (when) I do well in this masters program.

I'm curious if you guys can think of any schools that not only will give me a chance by looking at my application without instantly rejecting me, but also if there were schools that were more open to giving out interviews (or even an acceptance) after the academic update on the application. I've already thought about applying to schools like NYU and Tufts that have bigger class sizes, and don't have 3.0 cutoffs, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an IL resident but I'm willing to literally go anywhere that I get accepted because I know that I have no right to be picky about which school gives me a chance. My EC's are pretty decent and my LOR's are ok, but I'm planning on getting better ones with my teachers in my upcoming masters program.

tOSU

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Roseman is really big on an upward trend, so if you have good recent grades and do well in your masters I think you'd have a shot there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait till you complete the masters. It will open up a lot more choices if you do well + that DAT.

Hey there,

These last couple of days I've been researching different dental schools to see which ones I could have a chance for/should throw my money at, and I wanted to get some of your guys' opinions on it. So, to give you guys the gist, I have a 2.99 cGPA with a science GPA of a 2.75. I also just recently retook the DAT and got a 22 AA/TS (from a 19) as well as a 20 PAT (from a 16), with no score lower than a 20. Now I know what you're already thinking and yes, I realize that both of those GPAs are way too low and my DAT can't compensate for it. Because of that, I have enrolled in a masters program in Biotechnology at Rush University that is very science heavy. It's one of those special masters programs that lasts a year and is geared towards students like me who need to prove to adcoms that we could handle the workload involved in dental school. Also, my science GPA doesn't have that many credits under its belt so it'll be easy to move up if (when) I do well in this masters program.

I'm curious if you guys can think of any schools that not only will give me a chance by looking at my application without instantly rejecting me, but also if there were schools that were more open to giving out interviews (or even an acceptance) after the academic update on the application. I've already thought about applying to schools like NYU and Tufts that have bigger class sizes, and don't have 3.0 cutoffs, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an IL resident but I'm willing to literally go anywhere that I get accepted because I know that I have no right to be picky about which school gives me a chance. My EC's are pretty decent and my LOR's are ok, but I'm planning on getting better ones with my teachers in my upcoming masters program.

tOSU
Did you get in? I'm in a similar situation as you and was wondering where you ended up.