List of schools that drug test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firsttimer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing quite a few threads about drug testing lately.
I'm just wondering if there is a list somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I searched, but saw nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
mount sinai does. they want it done post-acceptance. so yea...i had to turn their offer down. :thumbup:

I was just completing the student health forms for NYU. They require a medical history, a physical exam, blood work (not for drugs), immunization record and a consent for for treatment and release of information.

There was nothing about drugs. :thumbup:

Word on the street is that within the next 3 years every accredited allopathic school will be required to drug test. The new drug policy at my university was instituted by the powers-that-be, it wasn't an internal decision. Something involving a change in medical student clinical classification that puts them in with all other health care providers (all of which are required to be tested).

But really, if you are making decisions on which medical schools to apply to or attend based on whether they drug test or not... I'd look long and hard at your own personal habits involving your vices and whether your motivations for choosing this career are mature enough at this time.

suddenly everyone has become more concerned about drug testing:laugh:

Yeah i noticed that tooo, lol, :laugh:, its a good think i don't have anything to worry about. It would suck if you wouldn't be able to attend med school because of something this stupid.

But really, if you are making decisions on which medical schools to apply to or attend based on whether they drug test or not... I'd look long and hard at your own personal habits involving your vices and whether your motivations for choosing this career are mature enough at this time.
Seriously. My God, if you smoke, take a few months off and seriously consider quitting for good. If you're doing hard drugs, rethink your life.

I wonder exactly what they'll be testing for? Is THC an immediate rejection? MDMA? Amphetamines? I mean, Adderall and Ritalin fall into the amphetamine category, don't they? How many accepted students would fail for that?

Next thing we know we'll be seeing a "what are my chances" thread from this guy:

tyrone_biggums.jpg

Word on the street is that within the next 3 years every accredited allopathic school will be required to drug test. The new drug policy at my university was instituted by the powers-that-be, it wasn't an internal decision. Something involving a change in medical student clinical classification that puts them in with all other health care providers (all of which are required to be tested).

This does seem to be the trend. Pre-matriculation background checks weren't the norm either and now they're starting to phase them in...

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. My God, if you smoke, take a few months off and seriously consider quitting for good.

Not that this is the point of the discussion, but what is so wrong with smoking weed? I mean I know it's illegal and all, but do you know why?
It was only made illegal to help build the department of narcotics and under entirely false pretenses. Harry J. Anslinge made up ridiculous things in order to make it illegal...

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

At the time the AMA opposed the legislation. But the government chose to believe the outrageous, untrue claims above.

Seriously. My God, if you smoke, take a few months off and seriously consider quitting for good. If you're doing hard drugs, rethink your life.

How many annual accidents and deaths are marijuana related?

Not that this is the point of the discussion, but what is so wrong with smoking weed? I mean I know it's illegal and all, but do you know why?
It was only made illegal to help build the department of narcotics and under entirely false pretenses. Harry J. Anslinge made up ridiculous things in order to make it illegal...

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

At the time the AMA opposed the legislation. But the government chose to believe the outrageous, untrue claims above.

Sources? I've never heard anything like this before.

Does anyone know if any of the Texas schools drug test?! I know Baylor doesn't.

There are only 2 reasons why alcohol is allowed and marijuana isn't: a) alcohol is taxed but mostly b) we tried it already and it didn't work.

If only we just taxed the $*#( out of marijuana we might actually pay down our national debt! :laugh:

I hear WashU drug tests.

If you really think about it everything after the part in bold is inadmissible....

regardless of how you feel about smoking the reefer, just think about how important med school is too you. taking some time off should not even phase you if you are serious about going to med school.

the hard truth is this: if u.s. schools decide there is no smoking the reefer, then you have two choices: (1) wave bye-bye to being a doctor, but enjoy your cheeva, or (2) do what you've got to do to get in

sorry op dont know of any list out there. that might take some research to find out...

regardless of how you feel about smoking the reefer, just think about how important med school is too you. taking some time off should not even phase you if you are serious about going to med school.

the hard truth is this: if u.s. schools decide there is no smoking the reefer, then you have two choices: (1) wave bye-bye to being a doctor, but enjoy your cheeva, or (2) do what you've got to do to get in

sorry op dont know of any list out there. that might take some research to find out...

It's times like these that I look to Ricky Williams for guidance...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really think about it everything after the part in bold is inadmissible....

Please don't tell me you are serious. Laws that are based on illogical foundations should have no place in our society (and they don't, they end up being overturned).

Please don't tell me you are serious. Laws that are based on illogical foundations should have no place in our society (and they don't, they end up being overturned).

But this law hasn't been overturned in ~100 years. The fact of the matter is, stupid law or not, you would have an illicit substance conviction on your record should you be caught and prosecuted and the "but the law was based on an illogical foundation" argument isn't going to fly when this red flag comes up in your medical license application.

The US is so backwards when it comes to drug laws and how we punish drug related offenses. I don't smoke pot myself but I would rather come in contact with a high stoner than a violent drunk. Alcohol is so much more damaging to our society than some illegal drugs. However...

If you want to be successful in life (i.e. med school) you gotta play by the rules. If you want to be a doctor then drug testing = part of your life. You will be drug tested in school and after so either (1) get over it and stop partaking in illegal substances or (2) continue with the illegal substances and work at McDonalds. Your choice.

Does anyone know if medical schools take hair samples when they test for drugs?

You can smoke, snort, eat, inject whatever the hell you want into your body for all I care - AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MY HEALTH. I don't care how mellow marijuana makes anybody, with the exception of Gregory House, I will take my docs sober of anything.

And lets please not get into the conversations about legal opiates and the like because there is a huge misconception about their effects and abuse.

Of course, he's serious. Whether any particular person considers the laws to be based on illogical foundations has no bearing on whether those law apply to them. In this case, students either work within the constraints of the system, or they aren't able to obtain necessary licensing. So, the important part of that statement was that use of THC is not legal.

Edit: Depakote said it faster and better.

But this law hasn't been overturned in ~100 years. The fact of the matter is, stupid law or not, you would have an illicit substance conviction on your record should you be caught and prosecuted and the "but the law was based on an illogical foundation" argument isn't going to fly when this red flag comes up in your medical license application.

And slavery/discrimination was legal for how long? And actually I would argue that we are moving towards decriminalizing marijuana, in the 1950s there were mandatory sentences that have been since repealed, and look at the number of cities/states that are starting to try to decriminalize possesion.

Part of the problem is that we have been taught that marijuana is evil and anyone who advocates legalization is a no good pot head, I believe that most professionals choose not speak out because of the stigma and instead silently toe the line.

I'm not saying you should use marijuana, personally I think people who do when they know they will be drug tested (whether it be pre-employment, pre-admission, or pre-clinical) are idiots. All I want to say is that people should see the hypocrisy of the situation and realize that they are "playing" the game that government and society want people to play, so to speak. Personally, for me, I'm perfectly happy staying within the system and keeping status quo even if I think the laws or the system is unjust. I'm perfectly happy being one of the meek sheep, martyrdom doesn't especially appeal to me which is why I could never be an activist or an advocate.

(2) continue with the illegal substances and work at McDonalds.

McDonalds does drug testing.

Last edited:
Sources? I've never heard anything like this before.

Source: testimony to US Congress supporting Marihuana Tax Act, 1937

I really wish people would take the time to do a little research and learn about history that isn't our textbooks.

On a side note, Dupont also helped in the campaign against marijuana b/c they wanted to get rid of hemp as competition for the newly patented nylon.

It shouldn't be wrong because it's illegal, it should be illegal because it's wrong.

A law does not make something right or wrong. I was just trying to pointing out that when the laws were past they were done so unjustly and by using lies.

I am not advocating for leagalization one way or another, I don't want people to get the wrong idea...I was simply curious if everyone was informed of the way the law came to be and if anyone had some comments on the subject.

I think it's interseting how people assume things are bad or wrong just b/c it's a law or b/c someone told them so without actually having all the facts.

med school students - do people in med school smoke weed at all? or is it something most people stop doing before attending a med school

"[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] This community forum is a place for ideas and constructive participation, and not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities." Quoted from the Terms of Service.

Let's get back to the topic of which schools are known to test, and not stray into the area of discussing who does what where and when.

"[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] This community forum is a place for ideas and constructive participation, and not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities." Quoted from the Terms of Service..

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Let's get back to the topic of which schools are known to test, and not stray into the area of discussing who does what where and when..

Mount Sinai

If you use drugs, don't become a doctor. Period.

With your intelligence level you won't ever make it anywhere in life.

Coming from a poster named "ziggyguy" I'm somewhat inclined to believe you're being sarcastic. But since you're probably not, I'll just respond in kind:

With your ignorance level you won't ever make it anywhere in life.

Some of you guys/girls seriously need to chill out and get over yourselves.:laugh:

for a regular pot smoker...marijuana can take up to 3 months to leave your system. You can cut the time by drinking lots of water or cranberry juice.

MDMA, cocaine, all that other stuff is out in 3 days.

My advice, suck it up for a few months before school starts, and then go back to your everyday life. Its not the end of the world..we all suffered through 5+ months studying for the MCAT.

Theres a way for getting around every stupid test or rule :luck:

so, say they will test you in july, i guess you shoudl stop in march? but what if you dont know whether you;ll be admitted yet? haha sorry, couldnt resist asking. but really, would stopping in march be alright?

Amphetamines? I mean, Adderall and Ritalin fall into the amphetamine category, don't they? How many accepted students would fail for that?
You just have to prove you have a prescription. it's not a big deal.
and all the cool kids are doing drugs anyway.

How many annual accidents and deaths are marijuana related?
:thumbup:. Alcohol is much more dangerous and much more likely to lead to crime.

legalize_marijuana.jpg

This is a theory of mine - y'all should let me know if it makes any sense. If you lose a bunch of fat up until a week before the drug test, then start eating a whole lot that week, you won't be metabolizing your stored fat as long as you keep your blood glucose up and therefore you can't release any THC metabolites that you may have stored. So if you stop smoking for a month, even, you won't have any metabolites in your pee as long as you don't let your body break down any of your fat (by eating a ton).

I don't smoke because it effs with my head in bad ways and makes me super-anxious, but I think drug laws are total ****, which is why I thought about this in the first place :p

You just have to prove you have a prescription. it's not a big deal.
and all the cool kids are doing drugs anyway.

Well I don't know about your undergrad school, but at mine there were more than a few students who took those drugs without a perscription as "study aides." If one weren't able to produce a perscription, would THAT be grounds for rejection?

I guess my overall question was, if a school does drug test, what is the criteria? Is it zero-tolerance or what?

med school students - do people in med school smoke weed at all? or is it something most people stop doing before attending a med school

Disclaimer: I don't smoke (or even drink for that matter) and anything said hereafter about behavior by my peers is nothing more than speculation.

That said, yes, some med students definitely smoke up. They also use alcohol in a manner that would qualify them as at least problem drinkers by any reasonable examination. They also use a variety of amphetamines as study aids and otherwise. They also have extremely high rates of medication use for other psych problems. They also probably use other "harder" drugs from time to time.

Doctors have significantly higher rates of alcohol/drug abuse than the general population, would you expect the population of future doctors to be any different?

Regardless of your stance on drug/alcohol use and abuse, just realize that abuse is a problem in the medical field and that you need to be careful that any use doesn't turn into abuse. The moment it does, you'll find yourself in a world of hurt. The big problem isn't your inability to get into med school, the residency you've always dreamed of, or the fellowship that is going to help you do something awesome with your life. The problem is that your personal life cannot be fully separated from your professional life and if you screw up your personal life, you could end up hurting your patients.

All that aside, YMMV as I go to a school where the students probably tend to spend a bit more time going out and enjoying themselves than at other schools where I have friends. And for the record, my school has not drug-tested yet, but may before we begin clinical rotations.

:laugh: This thread is funny. Imagine that, medical schools want their future doctors to not be drug addicts. Harsh...:rolleyes:

I have always been a strong believer that whatever one does in their personal life, as long as it does not harm innocent individuals, should be noone's business. If one isn't going to work under the influence and it doesn't effect the level of productivity on the job, who cares? Someone is probably being rapped as we speak and the government is worried about the consumption of drugs in private households? The fact that we have gotten this far in life says a lot about our personalities. We are responsible, value life and the well-being of others, and know how to find a healthy balance between work/school and playtime.

I have always been a strong believer that whatever one does in their personal life, as long as it does not harm innocent individuals, should be noone's business. If one isn't going to work under the influence and it doesn't effect the level of productivity on the job, who cares? Someone is probably being rapped as we speak and the government is worried about the consumption of drugs in private households? The fact that we have gotten this far in life says a lot about our personalities. We are responsible, value life and the well-being of others, and know how to find a healthy balance between work/school and playtime.

ron paul '08. wooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.