List of schools that require a DO LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorry if this topic is beat to death, I'm wondering if we could start a list of known DO schools that require a letter of recommendation from a DO. I figured people could just keep adding.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that LECOM requires it.

But really you should have one for any DO school- even if it's not required it's strongly suggested to have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Trek 1 said:
I know that LECOM requires it.

But really you should have one for any DO school- even if it's not required it's strongly suggested to have one.

OSU-COM as well

WVSOM requires it aswell but they offer interviews before your DO letter needs to be sent. Therefore, you can take longer to come up with one.

has anyone been able to gain acceptance to any of these D.O recommendation required schools without one? i still can't find a D.O that allows students to shadow :scared:

kiddingme said:
has anyone been able to gain acceptance to any of these D.O recommendation required schools without one? i still can't find a D.O that allows students to shadow :scared:

You don't have to shadow a DO in order to recieve a recommendation letter.

However, why not just volunteer in the ER? Most of them have DO's. Follow them around and get a letter from them.

Another good idea is to talk to doctors who know you well if they know any DOs who they could call and ask if they'll set up an appointment with you. Tell them your story, give them a copy of your CV, AACOMAS application, personal statement, Interfolio form, etc.

Most DOs understand the process and would be happy to help you out.

VCOM requires it also.

I rememeber being up in the Northern VA area and going through every DO in the phoen book. None woudl allow shadowing. Now keep in mind, I was never actaully able to ask the DO directely. I faxed letters and followed up with phone calls to office managers and staff. No was the answer everytime. I called VCOM and told them I had no idea what to do. THe director of admissions told me to check online with the AOA webpage and area DO organizations.

So I foound teh list of the regional officers in the AOA in my area and called him up. He would not allow me to shadow but he did ask me to come in and interview with him. I sent him my personal essay and a few secondary essays i was writing and then went and talked with him for about an hour. From that time, he wrote a LOR for me and I was able to use that.

Here is the Virginia link i followed.
http://www.voma-net.org/officers.htm

Each state has their own site. Follow this link and it will take you to every state, then go to the officers link and start calling.

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=lcl_assoc

Good luck. dont let a letter stop you from applying to the schools that require the DO letter. And remember this when you are a practicing DO and let pre-meds shadow you.

Yeah, that's the problem, I'm an international student so there are no docs in the area that know me that well. i volunteer in the ER and it seems that most of the time i'm there the residents and attendings are all MDs :thumbdown: But i will try asking them for an interview and see if that could help things from there.

As a last resort, I would try to contact some alumni of the medical school to which you are applying. It would be a long shot because it would probably have to be a phone interview but it wouldn't hurt to check out and see if the school has a listing of graduates.

People are much more willing to help out people trying to get into their alma mater.

kiddingme said:

I got accepted at COMP and CCOM without a letter from DO.

dr.z said:
I got accepted at COMP and CCOM without a letter from DO.
NYCOM says recommended. but not required