Which do schools require students to stay in-state for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lialalala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that OUHCOM make students to do residency in-state after graduate, or else pay high fine.

Are there any other schools do this? Or at least schools I applied? (MSUCOM, MUCOM, PCOM, NYITCOM, Rowan-SOM)??

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
None of the ones you applied to from what I last recall. Both MSU and Rowan favor in-state residents strongly, and MSU has very high OOS tuition.

You would find information about being required to work in the state on the school's website. This is one reason I only suggest OUHCOM to OH residents (and maybe surrounding states).

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, what? That sounds ridiculous. When you graduate, you are out the door. Now, should the school provide financial aid if you agree to abide by these rules, then they have some leverage.because you accepted money and agreed to abide by these rules. It might be like a restrictive covenant. That wouldn't work for me. I would want to get the best training I could get, not just in state training. As to which schools might do this, I'm sorry I have no idea. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio University only requires that for out of state applicants. You sign that contract when you apply, so there is zero question about what you are signing up for. You can also get out of it by basically paying back what equates to the amount of tuition you saved by going to OUHCOM. And it’s not a requirement to do residency in state, just to practice in the state when you’re done with training for x amount of years.

No other school does this.

Reactions: 1 users
I just found out that OUHCOM make students to do residency in-state after graduate, or else pay high fine.

Are there any other schools do this? Or at least schools I applied? (MSUCOM, MUCOM, PCOM, NYITCOM, Rowan-SOM)??

Thank you in advance.
If this med school thing doesn’t pan out for ya, you can always go work at CNN… They need people with your half truth telling skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
OU-HCOM offers in-state tuition to out-of-state applicants if they promise to either do a residency in Ohio or work as an attending for 5 years total. From what I've heard, it is easy to get out of this contract. That being said if you don't want to bother with that, then you can pay out-of-state tuition and do whatever you want. Please read things carefully before making exaggerated claims.

admission-contract

Reactions: 4 users

Thank you in advance.
Hi there - this is fortunately not true. Because HCOM is a state-funded college, out-of-state applicants do need to sign a contract that states that they will be required to serve in Ohio for 5 years after graduating. However, that contract is automatically waived for ALL out-of-state students after they are accepted.

The only time this contract would be upheld is if the incoming class is made up of less than 80% Ohio residents. They have never even been close to less than 90% Ohio residents up to this point :)