List of silent rejections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ampharos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list somewhere of which schools silent reject and which reject immediately after application review?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. A lot of schools either send out rejections in waves or will reject anyone who didn't get an interview sometime in the spring. By silent reject do you mean schools that won't send you a notification at all? Or do you mean schools that won't until the end of the cycle.

He probably meant ones that wait until the app cycle is over in May or so.

I'll start: Emory does silent rejections.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Duke all wait until the end of their app cycle to reject

Stanford, Hopkins, Cornell, Penn, UCSF, Vanderbilt, and Pitt reject in waves

This is not a comprehensive list, just what I could think of off the top of my head.

Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Duke all wait until the end of their app cycle to reject

This is not a comprehensive list, just what I could think of off the top of my head.
Georgetown also rejects in waves. Personal experience unfortunately.

Reactions: 5 users
Georgetown also rejects in waves. Personal experience unfortunately.
I wouldn't exactly call Georgetown's rejection process silent though.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. A lot of schools either send out rejections in waves or will reject anyone who didn't get an interview sometime in the spring. By silent reject do you mean schools that won't send you a notification at all? Or do you mean schools that won't until the end of the cycle.

What is the definition of silent rejection? I initially thought silent rejection = no news after last interviews given out.

What is the definition of silent rejection? I initially thought silent rejection = no news after last interviews given out.
I personally took it to mean the schools who give you no information one way or the other after your secondary is complete and just kind of fade away without telling you that you're rejected.

So does it mean that silent, post-interview rejections don't exist?
Well I didn't consider that since I didn't get an interview last year :laugh:

Well I didn't consider that since I didn't get an interview last year :laugh:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, this cycle goes much more successfully! :luck::luck:

Just trying to understand what silent rejections mean, since apparently, the conventional wisdom here is that immediate, fast rejections >>>> silent rejections any day. Being shot down stings but it's better than being strung along and left hanging. But it depends on what silent means and whether there is a way to predict them

If medical schools are willing to interview you, it stands to reason that they wouldn't leave you in the dark. But this could be wrong since there's the case of waitlists.

Northwestern, waits until the end of app cycle if I recall correctly.

Some of these schools don't send rejection letters at all to some people, which is what a silent rejection has historically been considered. So some of these that WedgeDawg listed are silent, at least some of the time. Stanford definitely doesn't always reject via letter or email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all. This has been very very helpful!

Some of these schools don't send rejection letters at all to some people, which is what a silent rejection has historically been considered. So some of these that WedgeDawg listed are silent, at least some of the time. Stanford definitely doesn't always reject via letter or email.

I actually might have ended up silent rejected from Stanford if I hadn't withdrawn, but I know people who got rejected earlier, so I assumed it was in waves - could definitely be wrong though!

I actually might have ended up silent rejected from Stanford if I hadn't withdrawn, but I know people who got rejected earlier, so I assumed it was in waves - could definitely be wrong though!

Yeah I think it just isn't cut and dry. It can be both. Because I remember people getting rejections from Stanford and thinking I had stayed alive but then never heard anything at all.

I applied last year and got no II and no response at all from most schools. Very disappointed and very disrespectful from schools in my opinion. You shouldn't be allowed to charge us for a primary and secondary and not send us a lousy email saying sorry your not in.

Reactions: 13 users
^ I am finding it out the hard way that II is a huge privilege to have (like I didn't underestimate it and held real expectations but man the wait is pretty long). It is also about where you apply to schools in terms of your stats. Which schools did not respond to you btw?

I specifically rembering NYIT. Touro told me in May. Cooper Rowan never got back to me. I don't remember the rest tbh. Maybe I was a bad applicant. :bang:

I specifically rembering NYIT. Touro told me in May. Cooper Rowan never got back to me. I don't remember the rest tbh. Maybe I was a bad applicant. :bang:
I don't know how aacomas schools do it but so far the amcas ones have been straightforward about their timeline. I turned in my aacomas a little bit later than amcas but around the same timeline, I'm expecting their communication to be delayed since their cycle is wider. The communication is getting very lengthy due to it becoming a busy period of time but overall, schools that are burdened have been sending emails regarding how long it'll take them to reach a decision. It's weird how I have to assess silence currently cause there are people getting tons of IIs and then there are those with none (so like what's going on lol).

So would you get at least a "rejected" message at the portal at the end of the cycle? Because it can get confusing if at the end of the cycle and you still don't know if you should keep the hope of getting II...

I applied last year and got no II and no response at all from most schools. Very disappointed and very disrespectful from schools in my opinion. You shouldn't be allowed to charge us for a primary and secondary and not send us a lousy email saying sorry your not in.
+1. AAMC should make a rule to have schools to send out official decision letters to justify their application fees.

Reactions: 5 users
+1. AAMC should make a rule to have schools to send out official decision letters to justify their application fees.

AACOMAS as well, it's absolutely criminal.

Most of time one's app is ranked and if it didn't make the cut for interview right away, then it's still contending for II later in cycle depending on how competitive rest of application pool is. Med schools want to keep their options open and they don't owe us anything. Sometimes, significant updates or even a re-review without a significant update will land one an II later in cycle.

II decisions are made from July to early spring, and until one gets a rejection, it is possible to still receive an II.

Let's try to keep this on topic. I'm trying to create a list as a tool for present/future cycles.
So far:

Silent:
Emory
Harvard
Columbia
Yale
Duke
Northwestern
Miami

Waves:
Stanford
Hopkins
Cornell
Penn
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Georgetown

Sends Rejection at End of Cycle:
Loyola University
Rush University

Waves:
Rosalind Franklin
University of Illinois
Western Michigan/Stryker
Medical College of Wisconsin

But also, even at the schools that send in waves, you can be held until the end

Medical school admissions offices don't owe you or anyone else closure. You're playing their game, not the other way around. To call it disrespect is a bit much.

Medical school admissions offices don't owe you or anyone else closure. You're playing their game, not the other way around. To call it disrespect is a bit much.

For our money, time, and effort, they could assemble their lazy asses and send us a free automated email. Rejection or not. Medical school may be a privilege, but it's still a business, never forget that.

Reactions: 15 users
This cycle, I noticed that Oakland and Albany sent out rejections in batches.

GW puts you on hold indefinitely and then rejects you weeks later. Unsure if by waves or silent until interviews are over.
Howard also rejects at the end of the application cycle. I didn't get a rejection from Howard last cycle until the end of May lol.

Stony Brook University sends out in waves....I don't know if you also are including DO schools, but Campbell University rejects in waves as well, but I've heard from many that LECOM does silent rejections

Stony Brook University sends out in waves....I don't know if you also are including DO schools, but Campbell University rejects in waves as well, but I've heard from many that LECOM does silent rejections
I got a rejection from LECOM-B pre-interview this past week or so, so my guess is that they send them in waves.

Someone posted in the LECOM thread that their application from last year has a status that shows it is still under review...so they may have just forgot about some who applied

Jefferson is literally the definition of silent rejection.

Ohio State sent rejection the week before school started.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

bump in case there are more updates!

Silent:
Emory
Harvard
Columbia
Yale
Duke
Northwestern
Miami

Waves:
Boston
Stanford
Hopkins
Cornell
Penn
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Georgetown

Silent:
Emory
Harvard
Columbia
Yale
Duke
Northwestern
Miami

Waves:
Boston
Stanford
Hopkins
Cornell
Penn
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Georgetown
UChicago
UCI

So since Hopkins does rejections in waves: does that mean because I haven't heard anything since my secondary was complete, that I'm still good?

I'd add Tulane to the list of schools that send rejections. Although I don't know if I'd call it a "wave." More like a "gently babbling brook of insecurity and disappointment."

Reactions: 9 users
Silent:
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Miami
Northwestern
Yale

Waves (/Babbling Brooks):
Boston
Cornell
Georgetown
Hopkins
Penn
Pitt
Stanford
Stonybrook
Tulane
Vanderbilt
UChicago
UCI
UCSF
U Wisconsin

Silent/Rejects at End of Cycle:
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Miami
Northwestern
Loyola/Stritch
Yale

Boston
Carver
Cornell
Georgetown
Hopkins
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn
Pitt
Rosalind Franklin
Southern Illinois

Stanford
Stonybrook
Stryker
Tulane
Vanderbilt
UChicago
UCI
UCSF
UIllinois
U Wisconsin

Some of these schools on the rejection wave list are giving me (likely false) hope lol

Silent/Rejects at End of Cycle:
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Miami
Northwestern
Loyola/Stritch
Yale

Boston