List of TY programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melenema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of TY programs somewhere? Couldn't find one on FREIDA. Sorry if this has been asked already.

Also, what are the avg stats/CV of someone who wants to get into a TY program? I haven't seen any real stats anywhere, but I imagine it's pretty competitive since people applying for competitive fields do TYs

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a list of TY programs somewhere? Couldn't find one on FREIDA. Sorry if this has been asked already.

Also, what are the avg stats/CV of someone who wants to get into a TY program? I haven't seen any real stats anywhere, but I imagine it's pretty competitive since people applying for competitive fields do TYs

It's on FREIDA... "Transitional Year"

There's some info from Charting Outcomes 2009:
Step 1/2: 236/239
24.9% AOA

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all TYs are competitive.

Some are more intense than the better medicine prelims.

I would apply to anywhere from 10-20 TYs. I was a very competitive applicant and was surprised at how many TY's I didn't get interviews to. That said, I applied to 20 so still got more than I could attend.

As far as competitiveness, they are somewhat competitive but I wouldn't worry. The people who apply to TY's are juggling a lot of contingencies in terms of their advanced rank lists, and as such I got the impression that most people match in the top few of their list.

Also, it will become obvious which ones are more competitive, but the simple filter would be: Does it have a reputation for being "cush" on sdn? If yes, then its competitive. Is it in a desirable location? If yes, then its competitive. I found the sweet spot to be the really nice/cush programs in the middle of the country, they are semi-competitive, but offer great benefits and salaries to attract top talent. Good luck!