listening music while operating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vselin

Save a child and save the world!
Reaction score
What do you think about that? After on call, i become very tired , maybe listening music can wake me up but actually i am not sure it is correct so i don't listen except minor surgical prosedures. Do you listen?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to hear that , actually i am a-second year resident so i can't listen always , but i will try to listen much more.
If i don't mind, what do you generally listen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear that , actually i am a-second year resident so i can't listen always , but i will try to listen much more.
Since I am the boss, I pick the music: its usually alternative music from the 80s or 90s. I like the Pandora Motown station and am always happy to listen to Rhianna, Pink, and other modern music. We do not play Classical or Country music in my OR.

Reactions: 4 users

Since I’m not the boss, generally whatever the boss wants. In my training that’s been anything from metal to country to pop to bluegrass to nothing. Left to my own devices I try to choose something that’s acceptable to everyone in the room.

Reactions: 1 users
Thumbprint radio on Pandora. Which for me is an odd mix of classical, country, 80s, 90s alternative. No rap. And no death metal. Everything else is ok as long as the case is going well

Last edited:
Amazon Music (prime) for me. I have several playlists depending on my mood, patient level of awakeness and the staff in my room (60s/classic rock, 80s/90s, 2000s+, and a mix of everything). No country, jazz or classical.

The whole point of going through surgical training is so that you get to be an attending and therefore get to pick the music. I have a spotify "OR" playlist that I have built over the last 5 or 6 years, it's a decently eclectic mix, I try to have something for everyone, and nothing that's overly offensive to anyone, but all stuff I enjoy.

Reactions: 7 users
The whole point of going through surgical training is so that you get to be an attending and therefore get to pick the music. I have a spotify "OR" playlist that I have built over the last 5 or 6 years, it's a decently eclectic mix, I try to have something for everyone, and nothing that's overly offensive to anyone, but all stuff I enjoy.

This is undoubtedly true regarding the reason to get through residency. I had a few attendings that would let me pick, and I have a few Google Play Music stations depending on the attending and what I know they like. 90s alternative, "today's hits", a more eclectic rock station (Jack White, early Black Keys, The National, etc.). My own personal playlist for when I knew the attending wouldn't be there much was a pretty weird mix of indie, blues rock (current and.classic), The Smiths, and more recent synth pop inspired stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I am the boss, I pick the music: its usually alternative music from the 80s or 90s. I like the Pandora Motown station and am always happy to listen to Rhianna, Pink, and other modern music. We do not play Classical or Country music in my OR.
Metal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Know your audience. Don't want to blast some stuff with lots of cursing when one of the staff members in the room is against foul language. Really misogynistic stuff played by a guy working with a room full of women might cause more trouble than if a woman selects it. Hardcore death metal or whatever the really screamy stuff is called at high volume will probably annoy folks not into that sort of music and then they will say they can't hear to do work and make you turn it down. I am the surgeon now so can claim to be in charge, but finding stuff acceptable to everyone is the polite thing to do.

Being in western PA for my surgical training and fellowship, I have had a heavy dose of country music. I hate country music. But now when there's no music playing I wonder when "beer for my horses" is going to come on. I mean, does she think my tractor is sexy? Surgical residency is socially-acceptable brainwashing Full Metal Jacket style. I probably should write this on my program eval...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I use my Echo in the OR, pretty rare that I dont pick the music.

Recently, I was doing an AV thrombectomy on a blocked patient and ask him what he wanted to listen to since he was still talking with anesthesia as we were starting the timeout. He told me, "How about some George Strait?" So I said, Alexa, play George Strait on Pandora. It starts to play relatively newer country music ala Luke Bryan and Brad Paisley. But, then Garth Brooks comes on singing 'Low Places' and as I'm pulling the Fogarty back I start hearing the patient singing away to the music. The next song is 'Amarillo by Morning' and the patient says, "Alexa, volume max." The room goes... and the patient leads the OR in a Karaoke rendition of George Strait. While I'm reanastamosing his fistula with prolene... it was a blast ;)

Reactions: 15 users

Recently, I was doing an AV thrombectomy on a blocked patient and ask him what he wanted to listen to since he was still talking with anesthesia as we were starting the timeout. He told me, "How about some George Strait?" So I said, Alexa, play George Strait on Pandora. It starts to play relatively newer country music ala Luke Bryan and Brad Paisley. But, then Garth Brooks comes on singing 'Low Places' and as I'm pulling the Fogarty back I start hearing the patient singing away to the music. The next song is 'Amarillo by Morning' and the patient says, "Alexa, volume max." The room goes... and the patient leads the OR in a Karaoke rendition of George Strait. While I'm reanastamosing his fistula with prolene... it was a blast ;)
That's awesome

Says a guy that probably listens to rap

lol-no-gif-8.gif

lovely story:love:

What do you think about that? After on call, i become very tired , maybe listening music can wake me up but actually i am not sure it is correct so i don't listen except minor surgical prosedures. Do you listen?
I absolutely listen to music. Hard to do sometimes with tonsils and tubes since they go so fast and often times I forget. Music and a straight forward FESS creates so much zen!

My go to is James Taylor. I had an attending tell me to change the music one time since it was putting him to sleep. If it's a longer closure, I'll change it to something more fast paced.

Agree with reading the room. While I think music in the OR is relatively benign, you don't want someone to get offended, complain and then somehow the public getting ahold of it and making a fuss about nothing.

I usually try to pick some fairly bland pop music (I.e. Bruno Mars on Pandora) unless I know my OR team. Otherwise it just depends on my mood - recently it’s been a lot of Motown and old-school hip hop, a few weeks ago I went through an indie rock phase, before that it was 80s hits. I do put on the country music when I’m cranky or it’s a stressful case, though :)

I generally prefer songs which keeps me awake and gives me peace , like Kovacs... :D