Listing ADHD on AADSAS Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent_99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lower science gpa (3.18), and I was diagnosed with and started taking medication for ADHD the first semester of my sophomore year of college. I have an upward trend in my gpa which is definitely partially due to starting medication but also a rough transition to college, not having priorities straight, etc. I feel like I should mention it somewhere on the application, but the only place that seems to make sense is the personal statement or this question:

"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct, academic performance, or COVID-19?"

I'd prefer not to add it here because I don't want ADHD to serve as an excuse for my poor grades and this question definitely seems intended for much more significant adversities, but I also feel like mentioning it in my personal statement takes away from the flow of the personal statement.

Let me know what you think especially if you've applied with a similar situation before!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I wouldn’t mention it anywhere in your application or in your interviews. It should not be stigmatized, but unfortunately I think it will be by adcoms. Speak to your upward trend in another way. You could say in an interview if you were ever asked about your poor grades early on, something along the lines of, “I realized I really wanted to do dentistry at that point and started to buckle down and put a greater effort towards my school work.” Keep all interview answers positive! Obviously, this is just one person’s opinion.

Definitely do not. Keep everything positive!