Listing AMCAS Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Cool

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All MS's out there. I am planning to apply to med school this year, and I have a question about listing my extracurrics on AMCAS.
Into how much depth should I go when describing things I have done? Should I Keep it to, maybe, one paragraph? Or should I expand as much as possible, filling up the space?

Please let me know what you think. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

This should be posted on the pre-allo forum. The answer is not very much depth, just state what you did and for how long.

The thing is, wasn't the character limit increased significantly from last year? That makes me think that maybe you're expected to write more.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
The thing is, wasn't the character limit increased significantly from last year? That makes me think that maybe you're expected to write more.

i get the impression that ad coms don't spend a lot of time looking through this stuff, but the probably do want to know some detail about it and what it meant to applicants maybe?

Silent Cool said:
i get the impression that ad coms don't spend a lot of time looking through this stuff, but the probably do want to know some detail about it and what it meant to applicants maybe?

You're probably right that adcoms don't spend tons of time reading the EC descriptions. The personal statement is a lot more important. Still, those EC descriptions are one more chance to make yourself stand out from everyone else. This definitely does not mean that you need to use up every single character. Some of my descriptions were very short (only 2-3 sentences). For the more meaningful ECs, though, I did my best to shine and convey some personality! Good luck. :) :luck: