Listing AOA on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdoctor09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it would be considered overkill or resume padding to list being elected into AOA under the "Medical School Award" section on ERAS since you being in AOA is already listed by default in the "Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies" section after you select your AOA status under the "Profile" section. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if it would be considered overkill or resume padding to list being elected into AOA under the "Medical School Award" section on ERAS since you being in AOA is already listed by default in the "Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies" section after you select your AOA status under the "Profile" section. Thoughts?

It seems to me like it would be overkill haha but I'm not a program director. I think that PD's know where to look when they want to see who is AOA or not and since it is automatically inserted in the Membership in Honorary Societies section that would probably suffice.

Technically AOA isn't an "award", so I'm leaving it out of that section. I think once on the app is enough -- programs directors that really care will find it where it's auto-listed without any additional prompting.

I was wondering the same thing. Our match coordinator told me that it would be fine to list it in both places, but I'm still unsure which way would be best.

Technically AOA isn't an "award", so I'm leaving it out of that section. I think once on the app is enough -- programs directors that really care will find it where it's auto-listed without any additional prompting.

yeah - I agree with this. If they already put it in one place. Why would you put it in two?

Pull up the CV and application print outs and you'll see how close those two sections are. It would be pretty silly to list it in both.

What about designating that you were inducted as an M3? How would you go about that or would you leave it off the app? Right now I have "Alpha Omega Alpha (junior student)" listed under the "Professional Memberships" category but don't know if I'll submit it that way.

What about designating that you were inducted as an M3? How would you go about that or would you leave it off the app? Right now I have "Alpha Omega Alpha (junior student)" listed under the "Professional Memberships" category but don't know if I'll submit it that way.
I wouldn't bother. It looks silly seeing it twice on the app. Schools will see it on your application and if they're the sort that care about whether you're AOA Jr. vs. Sr. (or care that you're AOA at all) they can ask you about it.

I don't see AOA membership "automatically" put anywhere in my application when I click "View your MyERAS Application". Should I be seeing it automatically somewhere?

Thanks

I don't see AOA membership "automatically" put anywhere in my application when I click "View your MyERAS Application". Should I be seeing it automatically somewhere?
Yes. If you indicated in the drop-down that you were elected into AOA, it will show up automatically under Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies in both your MyERAS application view and your CV view.

Yes. If you indicated in the drop-down that you were elected into AOA, it will show up automatically under Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies in both your MyERAS application view and your CV view.

Ok that explains it. I was never "elected" into AOA nor do I hold an office. I'm just a student member. I'm assuming that's not the same thing...

Ok that explains it. I was never "elected" into AOA nor do I hold an office. I'm just a student member. I'm assuming that's not the same thing...

Account tab > profile > bottom of the page has an option that says "Alpha Omega Alpha (Member of AOA)" right above where you agree to the AAMC policies, yadda yadda. When you check that it will show up on your application automatically and you don't have to re-type it in later in the Application > Misc. tab

I'm not sure what a "student member" of AOA is, but if you weren't selected for membership by your school, I'd be very specific about what your role was with AOA to make sure it's clear that you're not implying AOA membership.

What is a "student member" of AOA? Does your school's AOA chapter do volunteer programs that students can get involved with or somesuch?

For the purposes of this thread AOA = Alpha Omega Alpha, not American Osteopathic Association. So I wouldn't check that box I was talking about in my last post.

I was wondering the same thing. Our match coordinator told me that it would be fine to list it in both places, but I'm still unsure which way would be best.

My home program director looked over my eras cv and told me to list junior aoa under med school honors/awards. She felt that under "membership in honorary/professional societies" it gets lost with AMA and other memberships, plus it doesn't specificy if you were junior or senior aoa.
I agree, it looks a little funny to have it in both, but I have a hard time ignoring a PDs advice.....

For those of you chosen for AOA during 4th year... when do they hold the actual induction ceremony (i.e. not when you were nominated or notified or whatever)?

For those of you chosen for AOA during 4th year... when do they hold the actual induction ceremony (i.e. not when you were nominated or notified or whatever)?
I got my papers and AOA password stuff a couple of weeks ago for my school and haven't heard anything about an induction ceremony. I'm not sure every school has one.

Elections (and notification) were in early October, well before the MSPE was released. Our induction ceremony wasn't until the spring.

Just got the email today. Induction ceremony will be in March 2011.