LITERALLY, Just getting started...16 years old

CL2320

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to be a doctor as long as I can remember but am currently 16 and a sophomore in h.s. In TX, certifications are a requirement for high school graduation. Basically, Texas has integrated various Vo-Tech certification pathways into the graduation curriculum. I am following the health care pathway which began last year with Medical Terminology and this year with Health Sciences where we get First Aid/CPR/AED and OSHA Certified, as well as, a basic overview of the world of health care. Next year as a Junior (assuming my application is accepted), I will take Anatomy and Physiology and as a double block do clinicals for my CNA. Then during my senior year (assuming my application is accepted for 1 of the 20 openings. Most students split off to Pharmacy Tech so it’s quite not as selective as it sounds), I will get all the training for my EMT-B that I will test for after graduation. So, hopefully all goes as expected because high school is planned.

Now, I have been asked to begin researching and considering logical next steps toward becoming a doctor. Currently, I am interested in becoming a Cardiothoracic Surgeon and I will have to put myself through school. I have read a number of threads, as well as, other research and now have some questions.

So, if you were me graduating from high school and having CNA and EMT-B with Med-School as THE GOAL, what job situation would you aim for directly after graduation? From what I’ve read, it sounds like a CNA or EMT may not be my only options.

Do I have to aim for a college that offers a pre-med program and if not what are the pitfalls of majoring in some area of Biology once I pass the MCAT and go to apply for med school?

Is there a way to get out from under having to use my parents income on the FAFSA? If not, how long is it required?

If I don’t get any scholarships would it be a bad idea to get my basics out of the way at a Community College (will that be looked down on by a Medical school)? In TX there is a law holding the community college gen ed courses to acceptable standards of TX Universities.

How important is the college reputation where I get my undergrad in applying for medical school? I hear it’s not then when colleges visit our school they have a pretty convincing argument that it is if you actually want to be accepted.

What advice do you wish someone had told you when you first got started?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're very thorough. Here's my input.

1. I would say doing EMT or CNA would be great experience right out of high school. I do question whether this pathway is meant for those interested in medicine, however?
2. Major in whatever you want in college. "Pre-med" program not required.
3. For undergrad you have to include parental income if you are a dependent. Look on the FAFSA website to see what that means.
4. I prefer to see prerequisites from a four year university. Not to say you can't do a few at a CC.
5. Undergrad reputation/rigor is certainly a factor when assessing applications.
6. It's a long road. Keep doing research into what medicine is. Your 'cardiothoracic surgeon' interest shows me that you may yet have a lot of researching and digging to go. ;) Enjoy your time in high school and college.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Right now, you have about 2.5 years before anything really begins to matter. The best thing you can do in high school is get into a good 4 year college that is a good fit for you. Reputation does impact admissions, but its far from the most important thing and has to be balanced against fit, cost, location, and a plethora of other factors. Something to think about more thoroughly once you've actually been accepted to any colleges because before then its kind of a moot point.

I wouldn't really recommend being on SDN until you've started college because there's not too much to offer someone who isn't even halfway through high school yet. Get good grades, don't get into too much trouble, get into college, and then we'll be back here waiting. If you browse SDN in high school, you're going to drive yourself crazy and become way too neurotic for your own good.

So tl;dr, enjoy high school, come back in 2.5 years!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the very helpful reply and for taking me seriously even though I am young.

"Currently, I am interested in becoming a Cardiothoracic Surgeon"

Let's first get into medical school. Deal? :p

"What advice do you wish someone had told you when you first got started?"

Relax in high school, because it only gets exponentially more difficult as time goes on, and you don't want to burn out.

Thanks, I wasn’t looking to stick around on SDN yet but I have already figured out my high school teachers, counselors, and college admissions recruiters simply aren’t as well equipped to answer some questions as a current student is.

Reactions: 1 users
@CL2320 No worries, I'm impressed that you show such enthusiasm and determination to become a doctor already. Like the above posters said, focus on getting into the best undergrad school you can. For the most part, all premed programs are created equal, but pedigree does play a factor when applying to top tier medical schools. It will be an easier road if you are already starting from the high ground. I wish someone had told me this, or else I wouldn't have slacked off in high school as much. GL!

Reactions: 1 user
You have tenacity enough to not have any program stop you. So pick the undergrad that you'll enjoy most and do best at. Look up AAMC sheets on this, I think they care about your school prestige only marginally. I went to a state school that barely had a premed program, and through working hard, I've been in interviews with double majors who came from Yale and Columbia. You'll be fine.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Since you are in TX, you have great (and affordable) state schools and excellent (and very affordable) medical schools. Aim for great grades throughout the rest of school and in college. CNA jobs are a great way to get clinicals hours. In college, do research, plenty of non-clinical volunteering and make time for fun. Be a good person, explore hobbies outside of medicine and allow yourself to explore careers outside of medicine.

Currently, I am interested in becoming a Cardiothoracic Surgeon

You should already be studying for the MCAT. Anything lower than a 528 is unacceptable.

You should already be studying for the MCAT. Anything lower than a 528 is unacceptable.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind when the time comes. Pretty sure it’s all still a foreign universe to me right now but it sure looks interesting!

At this point, your plan sounds fabulous. Execute on that.

Get into a good college -- shoot for top 10% so UT will be an option for you. Truly a great education for the money IF the school is a good fit for you. Visit several colleges to see because fit is important. If you're not the type who will thrive in a 50,000-student school, then go somewhere else! Small schools can be a great place to get a great education if you can afford it. (The FAFSA bit is virtually unavoidable but also virtually meaningless unless your family is low-income, in which case it might help you marginally. Everyone gets loans.)

If you can, start one volunteering activity now that you can continue with in college. In general, nothing from high school should even be mentioned on your med school application with the exception of volunteering started in high school (or earlier) and continued through college. You don't need to accumulate a huge number of hours now -- it'll be the longevity that impresses.

And stay out of legal trouble! I guess that goes without saying, but...

(And ignore the 528 MCAT snark.)

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind when the time comes. Pretty sure it’s all still a foreign universe to me right now but it sure looks interesting!

Just making sure that you know he's kidding.

Stop. Just... stop.

Vo-tech is not what you should be doing. Just do a standard pre-college curriculum and go to UT.

Stop. Just... stop.

Vo-tech is not what you should be doing. Just do a standard pre-college curriculum and go to UT.

As of 2017 it is the standard pre-college curriculum, no longer Vo-Tech in Texas it replaces all elective credits along with 4 years of Math, Science, History, and English and choosing a pathway is a graduation requirement. The legislative idea was to assure TX sends high school graduates out into society prepared to either go straight to work or not have to flip burgers through college. I don’t have a choice but I like it.

To reiterate what was said, I am impressed with you dedication, but definitely go to a school that is a good fit for you, has undergrad research opportunities, and most importantly HAVE FUN!!
From personal experience, undergrad institution does not matter too much. I graduated from University of GA (great public school, but not too "prestigious") and I am having a successful cycle thus far. However, I would steer clear of community college for any classes, it will raise eyebrows no matter the reason.
Also agree with doktermom, you should not mention anything that occurred in high school on your AMCAS (except for continued certifications or if an experience continues into college).

Good luck, keep and open mind, and have fun!