Literature major as an Optometrist? =-O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ihearteyeballs

i
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello all!

I've been thinking about going into optometry on and off for three years and just recently decided to hardcore pursue it and am a little nervous/confused because I don't really think that having a non-science discipline as my major makes me a competitive candidate...

I'm a third year Comparative Literature major and have taken some of the prereq classes (gen bio series, calculus, psych, stats) and have a 3.4 overall GPA and 3.6 in the prereqs and was just wondering if it's likely that they'll accept someone who isn't a science major?

The reason I'm wondering is because when I graduate I'll have taken ONLY the required prereq courses whereas someone who majored in a science field will have (obviously) taken many, many more.

Anyway, I hope I'm not repeating questions that are already in the forum (I don't think I saw anything about Literature majors) ^^
 
ihearteyeballs said:
I'm a third year Comparative Literature major and have taken some of the prereq classes (gen bio series, calculus, psych, stats) and have a 3.4 overall GPA and 3.6 in the prereqs and was just wondering if it's likely that they'll accept someone who isn't a science major?

Go for it. Lots of non-science majors in my class (a few years ago). I think that you'll look like a well rounded student which may be attractive to adcoms as compared to those of us who only took a few non-science classes.
 
ihearteyeballs said:
I'm a third year Comparative Literature major and have taken some of the prereq classes (gen bio series, calculus, psych, stats) and have a 3.4 overall GPA and 3.6 in the prereqs and was just wondering if it's likely that they'll accept someone who isn't a science major?
I was a non-science major in undergrad, and I don't think it was a problem in getting accepted. As long as you do well on your pre-reqs, as Matt says, having a non-science major makes you an interesting and well-rounded applicant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi eyeballs
i'm a lit major as well, looking at dentistry though. non-science majors can be very strong applicants for showing passion in an unrelated area. do well on the pre-reqs, and best of luck!