• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
At the Beach!!
Visit site
Status
Okay I'm stuck on this for my calc II class...
integral of (x^3)(e^-x^2) and integral of (x^3)(2+x)^(5/2)
I know both are integration by parts but nothing is working!!! Somebody please help!!!

About the Ads

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
At the Beach!!
Visit site
Status
yeah that is what i was thinking but i keep getting these freaky integrals that dont match the real answer!!!

thanks for the reply

any ideas welcome!!!

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Ok, i'll do the first one.

int(x^3)(e^-x^2)dx

let u=x^2

then

int[u*x*e^(-u)dx]
and dx = du*1/(2x)

so

int[u*x*e^(-u)(1/(2x)du) = 1/2*int[u*e^(-u)du]

by integration by parts:

1/2*int[u*e^(-u)du] = 1/2[-u*e^(-u) - int[1*e^(-u)du] = -1/2*u*e^(-u) + 1/2e^(-u) = -1/2*x^2*e^(-x^2) + 1/2e^(-x^2) = e^(-x^2)*(1-x^2)/2

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
At the Beach!!
Visit site
Status
oh cool...that found my mistake...i did u=x instead of x^2
why i did that I dont know but at least I straightened that out!!!

thanks so much for that!!!
i really appreciate it!!!

kels

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
Status
For the second one, just substitute u=x+2. So you'll have (u-2)^3*u^(5/2). Expand the first term (u-2)^3 and you'll get something slight messy, but then you can multiply tern by term with u^(5/2), so you'll have a long polynomial with terms like u^(11/2). Then you can integrate those individually, like 12/13*u^(13/12).

About the Ads