• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Little Shadowing

evansh

Jun 16, 2015
  1. Medical Student
I'm in the same boat, lots of in hospital clinical work, little shadowing (it's effectively unlawful in hospitals in my province), hopefully it won't hurt us too much.

Yup. I wish I found SDN sometime before submitting AMCAS. I had always been told at my school that only clinical exposure as a whole was important, and that the breakdown of shadowing, volunteer, and paid was unimportant.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

futuremdforme

7+ Year Member
May 12, 2013
  1. Non-Student
I'm a nontrad, but I had so little shadowing that I didn't make it its own section. I just referenced it in my PS and secondaries. I got 4 acceptances (out of 11 schools that I applied to.) If you want to make it a section, you can continue to do shadowing throughout 2015 and mention this in secondaries and interviews.

Upvote 0

heebeejeebies

May 5, 2015
  1. Medical Student
That's good to hear actually. Congrats to you! I'm curious what the SDN adcoms think about this.

I think the type of shadowing is important too, most of mine was in direct medical evaluations on clinic floors, so patient histories, standardized interview stuff, examinations etc.

I got to see the "one on one" dynamic.

Whereas a lot of my friends observed surgeries, so they have 30+ more hours than me, but it was mostly looking at a laparoscopic procedure on a screen with some surgeon commentary on the side.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.