Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Little Shadowing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by evansh, Aug 19, 2015.

1. evansh

Medical Student
    How bad is only having around 10-15 hours of shadowing if I have a good amount (4-5k) hours of combined paid clinical work and clinical volunteering?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. heebeejeebies

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in the same boat, lots of in hospital clinical work, little shadowing (it's effectively unlawful in hospitals in my province), hopefully it won't hurt us too much.

4. evansh

Medical Student
    Yup. I wish I found SDN sometime before submitting AMCAS. I had always been told at my school that only clinical exposure as a whole was important, and that the breakdown of shadowing, volunteer, and paid was unimportant.

5. utmn

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I have the same. I think it's okay- they tell you that shadowing is to see what the day to day life of a physician is. As long as you've covered that with multiple specialties you should be fine.

6. ndafife

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    N=1, but last year I applied with 30 hours of shadowing and no other clinical experiences and finished with 3 acceptances. Quantity =/= quality, and it really is how you sell that experience

7. evansh

Medical Student
    That's good to hear actually. Congrats to you! I'm curious what the SDN adcoms think about this.

8. futuremdforme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm a nontrad, but I had so little shadowing that I didn't make it its own section. I just referenced it in my PS and secondaries. I got 4 acceptances (out of 11 schools that I applied to.) If you want to make it a section, you can continue to do shadowing throughout 2015 and mention this in secondaries and interviews.

9. heebeejeebies

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think the type of shadowing is important too, most of mine was in direct medical evaluations on clinic floors, so patient histories, standardized interview stuff, examinations etc.

I got to see the "one on one" dynamic.

Whereas a lot of my friends observed surgeries, so they have 30+ more hours than me, but it was mostly looking at a laparoscopic procedure on a screen with some surgeon commentary on the side.

Crayola227 likes this.
  10. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you do in your clinical work?

11. evansh

Medical Student
    Advanced EMT