Live with parents or go to cheaper school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I can ultimately either go to UDM and stay with family across the border as a Canadian, or go to a school in the US cheaper than UDM and live there. ADEA says total non-resident tuition a year for UDM is around $115k including fees, instruments, books, supplies, and estimated living expenses($25k). What would be the better option here financially?

Members don't see this ad.

I would look at average cost of living at the US school, multiply that by 4, then see if it's cheaper than paying $360K (90K per year x 4) ((assuming your parents allow you to stay with them for free and they pay for your food and bills as well)). Go to whatever is cheapest after that.

Reactions: 1 user
oh yea for sure my parents would let me stay without paying any bills and my mom offered to keep making me food if i studied dentistry looking at how busy i would get. based on google It's around $10k average cost of living for a year so $40k. I don't assume that includes rent? How much is rent in america for a lousy 1 bed apartment approx? Thing is, looking at all those "I just graduated with so much debt what should i do" threads here are kind of making me worry. I'd love to graduate with as little debt as possible. My dad is coming next year to canada after quitting a 250k job just so he can stay with us. The job market for immigrants with no canadian experience is hell. So the added debt over the years will be bad assuming my dad would offer to pay some of it even when he's not employed. Would you happent to know the cheapest canadian friendly us schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you got an acceptance letter from UDM or any other school yet? Or is this speculative at this point?

Asking how much is rent in America is like asking how much is a flight? It varies greatly depending on where you want to go

Have you got an acceptance letter from UDM or any other school yet? Or is this speculative at this point?
Previous posts indicate that they're a sophomore and have likely not even applied.

OP, I would focus on school and making your application as competitive as possible, then actually applying and seeing where you get accepted. There's no guarantee you'll get into UDM or to the other US school. Apply, see where you get in, then compare costs. Also, in most cases, the cheaper a school is, the harder it is to get in, especially for Canadian applicants. So again, make your application as competitive as you can with your GPA and DAT.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Previous posts indicate that they're a sophomore and have likely not even applied.

OP, I would focus on school and making your application as competitive as possible, then actually applying and seeing where you get accepted. There's no guarantee you'll get into UDM or to the other US school. Apply, see where you get in, then compare costs. Also, in most cases, the cheaper a school is, the harder it is to get in, especially for Canadian applicants. So again, make your application as competitive as you can with your GPA and DAT.
Thank you! Will try my best

Reactions: 1 users