1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Living abroad?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DrJackal, Aug 8, 2006.

1. DrJackal

DrJackal Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

I'm not yet a medical student, but I very well hope to be in the near future.

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. qtpie055

qtpie055 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi DrJackal,

I have the very same question and can't seem to be finding too much info about it. I would check the UK/Ireland and Australian boards. It is possible but not many people do it. I'm going to try...once I finish med school. I know for the UK, it's a bit tough now since they require a work permit and you need to be registered under the GMC and take the PLAB exam. If you are a qualified physician and a desired specialty, you might be able to go over and not take the PLAB exam. So i tmight not be a few years (after residency) till you actually can make it over easily.

Just out of curiosity, why are you thinking of going over?\

If you have any info, I would love to hear about it since I myself am trying to make it over.

4. KidDr

KidDr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes, you can do locum tenens work in these countries. see this web sites for more info:
    http://www.gmedical.com/

or just google "locum tenens in ____" (insert country), there's lots of info out there about it.