Living abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJackal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

I'm not yet a medical student, but I very well hope to be in the near future.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

DrJackal said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

Thank you.

Hi DrJackal,

I have the very same question and can't seem to be finding too much info about it. I would check the UK/Ireland and Australian boards. It is possible but not many people do it. I'm going to try...once I finish med school. I know for the UK, it's a bit tough now since they require a work permit and you need to be registered under the GMC and take the PLAB exam. If you are a qualified physician and a desired specialty, you might be able to go over and not take the PLAB exam. So i tmight not be a few years (after residency) till you actually can make it over easily.

Just out of curiosity, why are you thinking of going over?\

If you have any info, I would love to hear about it since I myself am trying to make it over.

DrJackal said:

Thank you.
yes, you can do locum tenens work in these countries. see this web sites for more info:
http://www.gmedical.com/

or just google "locum tenens in ____" (insert country), there's lots of info out there about it.