1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Living abroad?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DrJackal, Aug 8, 2006.

1. DrJackal

DrJackal Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

I'm not yet a medical student, but I very well hope to be in the near future.

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. qtpie055

qtpie055 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi DrJackal,

I have the very same question and can't seem to be finding too much info about it. I would check the UK/Ireland and Australian boards. It is possible but not many people do it. I'm going to try...once I finish med school. I know for the UK, it's a bit tough now since they require a work permit and you need to be registered under the GMC and take the PLAB exam. If you are a qualified physician and a desired specialty, you might be able to go over and not take the PLAB exam. So i tmight not be a few years (after residency) till you actually can make it over easily.

Just out of curiosity, why are you thinking of going over?\

If you have any info, I would love to hear about it since I myself am trying to make it over.

4. KidDr

KidDr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes, you can do locum tenens work in these countries. see this web sites for more info:
    http://www.gmedical.com/

or just google "locum tenens in ____" (insert country), there's lots of info out there about it.