Living abroad?

Started by DrJackal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrJackal

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

I'm not yet a medical student, but I very well hope to be in the near future.

Thank you.
 
DrJackal said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

I'm not yet a medical student, but I very well hope to be in the near future.

Thank you.

Hi DrJackal,

I have the very same question and can't seem to be finding too much info about it. I would check the UK/Ireland and Australian boards. It is possible but not many people do it. I'm going to try...once I finish med school. I know for the UK, it's a bit tough now since they require a work permit and you need to be registered under the GMC and take the PLAB exam. If you are a qualified physician and a desired specialty, you might be able to go over and not take the PLAB exam. So i tmight not be a few years (after residency) till you actually can make it over easily.

Just out of curiosity, why are you thinking of going over?\

If you have any info, I would love to hear about it since I myself am trying to make it over.
 
DrJackal said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to be a U.S. Citizen and Medical Doctor (M.D.) and more to another country (English Speaking) such as Australia, U.K. and be able to practice.

I'm not yet a medical student, but I very well hope to be in the near future.

Thank you.
yes, you can do locum tenens work in these countries. see this web sites for more info:
http://www.gmedical.com/

or just google "locum tenens in ____" (insert country), there's lots of info out there about it.