"Living Anatomy"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medjohnny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what exactly is living anatomy? does anyone's school do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Our school called living anatomy a day when we all got into our swimming suits and drew stuff on eachother (ID bones, etc). It was pretty fun

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard another term for it...something like sturgery or rurgery, not sure quite sure.

You mean "Osteopathic Principals and Practices?" :D

Our school called living anatomy a day when we all got into our swimming suits and drew stuff on eachother (ID bones, etc). It was pretty fun

I can see how this could lead to many awkward situations with your classmates lol.

what exactly is living anatomy? does anyone's school do it?

UNMC does it. They recommend doing it with an opposite sex. It's kinda fun...like a dating thing at the beginning of the semester. If you see a gal/guy who you like working with, definately try to ask her/him to be your living anatomy partner as soon as possible. You get to touch her/his body during class, private practice time, and at living anatomy exam stations. We won't be able to touch anything around the boobs and pubic area. However, we are allowed to palpate ischial tuberosity on each other....:cool:

Even though you won't be tested on or asked to practice on each other, you may trade male's hernia exam for female's breast exam in your own private practice time if you two agree on it. :laugh:

For us, living anatomy is where we, in small groups, observe a couple surgeries that are relevant to what we are learning/learned in anatomy. My group just went this week, so were were lucky--we're almost done with anatomy, and mostly understood (anatomically) what we were looking at.

I don't know what we call what the others refer to as living anatomy. Workshops maybe?

I'm not sure how many other schools do what we refer to as living anatomy, but I would expect pretty much all schools do what the others on this forum are referring to as living anatomy--it's basically learning the components of the physical exam, palpating/locating specific things on/inside the body, which are all things we'll need to know.

Last edited:
What the heck happened to standardized patients at your schools?

I have this mental image of "The Todd" doing this and saying "I've got a bone for you to ID"

TODD.gif