Living at home....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i recently got accepted to a med school thats only a 20 minute drive from my house. If I live at home for at least my first year, i know i would save a great amount of money because I wont have to worry about paying rent, utilities, food etc. The only drawback is that studying at home might be kind of difficult. Anyone in the same boat as me and decided to live at home? Any advice would really help!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Would there be problems during M3 and 4 when you get paged? I was wondering about this the other day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm living at home and commuting every day to the optometry school in downtown Houston. Living at home at the age of 26 has proven interesting. You just have to make sure your parents understand the rules (no curfew,etc) I do have problems studying at home.. but it's not my parents fault it's mine.. I'm too easily distracted by the phone, the tv, SDN, email. I usually end up studying at the library and driving home late so that when I'm home I can talk with my family, eat and sleep. That's about all I do there. It is nice not to have to worry about cooking, cleaning, paying rent and with the cost of med school and professional these days any way to save money. I'll most likely move out after the first year since I'll start being in the clinic but saving this much for the first year has been great. If you can make it through another year with your parents it's not a bad way to go for at least the first year.

I'm too easily distracted by the phone, the tv, SDN, email. ••
Me too.Any body has any solution for that?

SDN can be pretty addicting.

I live at home, it is about a 30-1 hr drive away depending on traffic, I am a second year and it has worked out very well for me so far. I study at school, I usually go home for dinner and I never study at home so it is nice to have that separation between school and home. Besides getting free rent, I get free cable, 2 bedrooms, free food, and all of these other benefits, it's very nice. The only real disadvantage is having to wake up earlier in the morning and worry about being late to school because of traffic, and of course worrying about being able to make it to school if it snows. Some of the benefits are having that separation between home and school, it's nice and quiet in my home (unlike the city where an ambulance drives by every 4 minutes), don't have to worry about walking home late at night but do have to worry about driving home late at night, and it's more then rent that you save (food, cable, phone, furniture, laundry, etc), the dollar amount that you save (especially considering that you would probably be paying interest on it) is very substantial. I could purchase a BMW when I graduate with the money that I saved by living at home, but I won't because I will still be ~90,000 in debt counting undergrad.

Quote:
"and it's more then rent that you save (food, cable, phone, furniture, laundry, etc), the dollar amount that you save (especially considering that you would probably be paying interest on it) is very substantial. I could purchase a BMW when I graduate with the money that I saved by living at home, but I won't because I will still be ~90,000 in debt counting undergrad. "

Maybe you could purchase a BMW for your parents when you graduate... just a thought... Can you say mooch? Remember, that food, laundry, cable, phone etc. still costs money while you are living at home - its just that someone else is paying for it... ;)

Originally posted by CKent:
•I could purchase a BMW when I graduate... •••

A truly superior car...

When we were at the dealership the other day, I saw a Z8...it was priced just over $130,000.

The 3 series is the classic.

Msax,
i know you were kinda joking, but i think what he means is: his parents are already paying for the house, cable, phone, etc. (maybe a little extra food for one more person, but you only buy the basic once :) ) and would continue paying for it all whether or not he lives at home. this way, they don't have to pay it twice...
good thinking, but i still don't think i or my parents (who i love to death) want me to move back home now.

Yes Senioritisplease, I was kinda kidding - hope no-one took offense. But seriously, I do have a bit of a pet peeve with the attitude that by living at home, you can avoid cooking, cleaning, and paying rent. I am sure your parents love you and want to support you, but hey, they've gotta have a life too. Yes the cable and phone are bills that have to be paid anyway, but the mess and laundry that we create by "living at home" have to get cleaned up by someone.... thanks Mom ... Just want to throw in my two cents - Moms have lots of other things they'de rather be doing than playing "maid" to kids who move back in. Just remember to say thanks.

This is a little off topic...but maybe someone else feels this way. When you are through school and a doctor, do plan on trying to pay your parents back in some way? My parents have been so supportive, I WANT to do something.

Totally - I'm not in school yet, but I've already told my parents that I'm sending them to Europe when I'm through. More on topic, my parents have actually invited me to live at home first year (should I get into school in my hometown) so that I can buy a car. It certainly seems worth looking into...I'm just not sure if we really remember what living with each other was like!

Shannon

Originally posted by Chadleez1:
•This is a little off topic...but maybe someone else feels this way. When you are through school and a doctor, do plan on trying to pay your parents back in some way? My parents have been so supportive, I WANT to do something.•••

Chadleez1 I completely hear you. I'd love to go all out for my parents when I'm done. The closest i came to that was whenI went to school FT (postbac) and worked FT last Fall (I needed AMCAS money). With some savings, I booked a all-inclusive (well except for meals I think) vaccation (hotel and airfare) to the Bahamas for my parents. They were sooo surprised...but unfortunately they wouldn't accept it...they said that I needed to keep my money for med school!! So after constant pleading with them - we came to a compromise. My mother is apparently scared of flying, so I put half of the $ into the bank for her and made her promise not to spend it on us kids (I'm sure it's gone to my sister's tuition by now :( ) With the other half, I sent my dad to London - his family is over there. So it didn't exactly work out the way i wanted...but when I'm through with med school, I want to treat them to something awesome! What do you have in mind for your parents?