Living at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulKelliDO

2007 applicant
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering what you think about living at home during medical school. I am very excited to be matriculating at UMDNJ-SOM and my family lives 5 minutes away from the school, so I could live for free at home. Financially, this is a great situation. But I haven't lived at home for the past 4 years and am not sure if living with family would be a distraction. Is anyone else in this situation? Do you think it would be better to live at home or in an apartment?

Thanks for any advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

It might take some adjusting, but I can assure you, living at home is definitely the way to go. Think about it, 4 more years of mom's home cooking! (provided you stay in area for clinicals, which is highly likely).

I know it can be distracting. I lived at home during undergrad, and commuted 3 hours per day. But, you can manage. If you need a quiet place to study, just stay at the library or something. During exams, you can sorta just study there, come home for dinner, pass out. Sweet deal if you ask me.

Given the amount of money you're going to save, I would say it's well worth the trouble.

I am definitely staying at home, my family is around 6-7 miles from the school i have decided to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input!! It sounds like a good idea and would save me a lot of money. :)

it deps on u and ur relationship w/ the parental units. my parents live 10 min away but i moved out since my mom is the micro-manager type. i def don't fit my parent's vision of the perfect student in terms of my study habits and philosophy (i'm a night owl and don't go 2 non-mandatory classes) and the constant nagging would interfere w/ my grades so i moved into an apt. plus they like 2 get in2 my business. i still c them once a week 2 do laundry free at home and get free food 4 the week :) and i told them i'd live at home 4 the clinical years (and maybe the phd years if i get in) since i don't have 2 really worry about exams (except shelf exams) and basically will only sleep at home anyways.

it would save u money 2 live at home and as long as it won't interfere w/ ur stress level, happiness, and grades, its worth some serious thought.

it deps on u and ur relationship w/ the parental units. my parents live 10 min away but i moved out since my mom is the micro-manager type. i def don't fit my parent's vision of the perfect student in terms of my study habits and philosophy (i'm a night owl and don't go 2 non-mandatory classes) and the constant nagging would interfere w/ my grades so i moved into an apt. plus they like 2 get in2 my business. i still c them once a week 2 do laundry free at home and get free food 4 the week :) and i told them i'd live at home 4 the clinical years (and maybe the phd years if i get in) since i don't have 2 really worry about exams (except shelf exams) and basically will only sleep at home anyways.

it would save u money 2 live at home and as long as it won't interfere w/ ur stress level, happiness, and grades, its worth some serious thought.

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 younger sisters close in age and my family does tend to get in my business alot. But I will have a lot of privacy due to the way our house is set up.

I am wondering how often I will actually be at home? I plan to do all of my studying at the library/school and was thinking that I would really only be home to sleep. If so, then it will be OK to live there since I'd rarely be spending time at home. Will this be the case?

I love my family, but I don't think I could live with them for much longer. I am living at home during my year off, and it's driving me nuts. Why were you out so late? How come you're not sleeping yet? And in med school, I'd never get anything done anyway. Not good at studying at home. Then again, I also have zero privacy because my room also doubles as the office, so there is always someone in here. And my room has only a computer desk, but I wouldn't be able to study there because there will inevitably be someone on the computer. Then again, there are 4 of us in a 2 bedroom apartment. I have one bedroom, my sister has the other one, and my parents sleep in what is supposed to be the dining room. It's a little cramped in our apartment. And my grandparents live right below us, so then in med school, I would constantly get "How come you're not visiting us? You look too tired. Are you getting enough sleep? Why were you at school so long?"

And as for the home cooked meals, I'm taking those with me. I'm hte one who cooks in our family. And I'm also the one who does laundry. So new worries on that part. But if it works for you, great. It depends on your family set up, I suppose.

Also, if you have a girl friend while living at home, you won't get to....

you know :D

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering what you think about living at home during medical school. I am very excited to be matriculating at UMDNJ-SOM and my family lives 5 minutes away from the school, so I could live for free at home. Financially, this is a great situation. But I haven't lived at home for the past 4 years and am not sure if living with family would be a distraction. Is anyone else in this situation? Do you think it would be better to live at home or in an apartment?

Thanks for any advice :)

I lived at home for a year while commuting to Loyola, the plus side to that was having no rent and not worrying about food. I also for some reason feel like i studied better at home b/c i know i have to get things done fast otherwise i get distracted :oops: the down side is having a young teenage brother that drove me crazy many times.

if you are able to get your work done living at home, then i would save the money and do it. If you like your peace and quiet along with your independence..get an apartment :)