Living on student loans... SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarahybethy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is Sarah, and I'm working on my prerequisites for vet school. I'm considering St. George's University, but have a few questions about student loans. I'm married, and I am concerned that because my husband likely won't be able to get a job on the island, we'll have to live on my student loans (the hub is still working on his undergrad in Computer Sciences, and can possibly finish up in Granada). I have a BA in Comm, but I never had to take out any loans, so I'm fairly clueless about how this all works. Do loans cover housing, or other living expenses? I do realize that living on loans isn't ideal-- but I don't think the hub would be happy if I left him in the states to work! :laugh: We're also aware that we'll have to pay it back in the end! US schools aren't out of the question, but my GPA was a 3.2, so I'm not sure I'd make it into a US school... Just trying to get some information, and consider all of my (our) options! Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

My name is Sarah, and I'm working on my prerequisites for vet school. I'm considering St. George's University, but have a few questions about student loans. I'm married, and I am concerned that because my husband likely won't be able to get a job on the island, we'll have to live on my student loans (the hub is still working on his undergrad in Computer Sciences, and can possibly finish up in Granada). I have a BA in Comm, but I never had to take out any loans, so I'm fairly clueless about how this all works. Do loans cover housing, or other living expenses? I do realize that living on loans isn't ideal-- but I don't think the hub would be happy if I left him in the states to work! :laugh: We're also aware that we'll have to pay it back in the end! US schools aren't out of the question, but my GPA was a 3.2, so I'm not sure I'd make it into a US school... Just trying to get some information, and consider all of my (our) options! Thanks in advance for the help!

not entirely sure how loans are affected when you're married, but for me (a single trad student) loans cover everything from tuition to living to insurance and bank fees.

you'd have to look at it closely, but its highly unlikely your husband will be able to finish of a CS degree in grenada. theres the vet school, med school, pre programs, and a couple of business and science degrees. you should also seriously consider what his job prospects would look like graduating from a foreign degree program (if such exists). i'd have to believe he'd have a harder time finding jobs and take a pay cut as a result just from what i know of that world (most of my friends are in computers/engineering)

as for husband finding a job, i just had dinner with a 4th term student tonight and she said that most of the SO's manage to find jobs around campus and on the island.

lastly, if you have any questions about the school, program, island, etc, please feel free to ask away or message me-i'm about to start school there in 2 weeks!

OP: Are you considering Ross as well? It was recently accredited by the AVMA, which means transitioning back to the States should be a little easier and the curriculum is more regulated.

Members don't see this ad :)
not entirely sure how loans are affected when you're married, but for me (a single trad student) loans cover everything from tuition to living to insurance and bank fees.

you'd have to look at it closely, but its highly unlikely your husband will be able to finish of a CS degree in grenada. theres the vet school, med school, pre programs, and a couple of business and science degrees. you should also seriously consider what his job prospects would look like graduating from a foreign degree program (if such exists). i'd have to believe he'd have a harder time finding jobs and take a pay cut as a result just from what i know of that world (most of my friends are in computers/engineering)

as for husband finding a job, i just had dinner with a 4th term student tonight and she said that most of the SO's manage to find jobs around campus and on the island.

lastly, if you have any questions about the school, program, island, etc, please feel free to ask away or message me-i'm about to start school there in 2 weeks!

Congrats on your new adventure! That's so exciting! One of the Vets in the practice I work at is a SGU grad, and even taught there for a couple of years. He had a great experience!

Thanks for the 411 about loans! I don't even know where to start! Glad to hear they cover more then just tuition!

My husband is currently taking all of the comp science stuff here, just hoping to finish the upper general ed stuff in Granada. We went to a SGU open house in Santa Monica last week, and one of the enrollment guys told us that it's nearly impossible to find work on the island-- glad to hear that SO's do manage to find something!

OP: Are you considering Ross as well? It was recently accredited by the AVMA, which means transitioning back to the States should be a little easier and the curriculum is more regulated.

I have thought about it, but I've heard that you can't bring pets to St. Kitts, and that is a deal breaker for me! SGU is working on their AVMA accreditation, and will find out in September if they made the cut!

I have thought about it, but I've heard that you can't bring pets to St. Kitts, and that is a deal breaker for me! SGU is working on their AVMA accreditation, and will find out in September if they made the cut!

you can't bring pets for term 1 to ross as you are required to live on campus there. after that all is fine.

SGU's curriculum is up to par and well regulated (i'd even venture to say it's more comparable to a US school than Ross because its the same 6 semesters of pre-clinical vs. Ross's 7 but w/e)

Honestly, both schools are great. There are some big differences between the two though and I think those are what comes down to the deciding factors. They both great vet schools and will well prepare you to be a practicing veterinarian. I'll list some things to think about(hint-all listed differ between the two schools):
-Cost of attendance
-Length of program
-Breaks between semesters
-Island (crime, local relationships, housing requirements, type of campus, etc)
-4th year
-Class size
-Weather (hurricanes)

I can break down my opinions on each of these if you'd like, just remember that i'm going to be slightly biased because i attend one and not the other. i'm sure a Ross student could get on here and defend all the things i didnt care for and list things they dont like about SGU. its all opinion.

jmo1012: did you visit both vet schools before deciding where to attend?

jmo1012: did you visit both vet schools before deciding where to attend?

no, flight costs for that would have been about $1500 each (not to mention hotels, food, etc) so it was too expensive. i did however have extensive contact with admissions at both schools, attend several info sessions, and talk with alumni and students.

ETA: oh and lets not forget the passport i didnt have until last month :D

That's a bold statement saying the curriculum is more regulated. Both schools have highly regulated curriculums. And as mentioned above, we are going to find out about accreditation in September. The reason that Ross received accredited first was because their site visit was earlier and the committee only meets twice a year. jmo1012 is pretty much right on about the differences.

The two major differences for me was the summer break and the islands.

Personally, not having a summer is a deal breaker. I think I would have burned out quickly.

Both the islands have petty crime. But from what I've heard from Ross students (ones that have dropped out of Ross and some that have transferred to SGU), the crimes typically can be more serious than what we were exposed to in Grenada.

Also, I lived on loans with my husband in Grenada for most of the year and it was not a problem for me. You just have to be frugal, as you should be anyway living off borrowed money. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I was reading through this thread and wanted to let everyone know about our Eureka Program.

Personally, I beg all prospective students to visit the campuses of the schools they are interested in attending. Because of that, SGU created the Eureka program. If you would like to visit our campus I will put you in touch with the travel agency SGU uses who can book a flight and hotel for you. You have to pay out of pocket first, but if you then become a matriculated student with SGU we will reimburse you for your flights and a three day stay in Grenada.

Here are some topics you should know:

Accreditation--- We had our final site visit in April. The AVMA next meets in September at which time we will hear if we are accredited. If so, accreditation is backdated to that April site visit.

Tution. SGU has a total tuition cost a little more than $30,000 less than Ross. In addition SGU offers several partial scholarships, than would lower our tuition to what most U.S. students pay as In-State tuition.

Housing. SGU can house close to 70% of its student body on campus.

Transportation. SGU has a fleet of 40 buses that run from 6 am to 2 Am. so if you are living off campus, you do not need to buy a car to get around.

Student services. SGU has a department of educational services which is free for all SGU students, so whether you need tutoring in a class, help with testing skills, time management skills, etc. SGU is there to help, free of charge.

There is no quarantine time to bring your pets to Grenada.

Dual Degrees. SGU offers several dual degree options, so whether you are interested in a MPH, MBA, or MSc in Wildlife or Marine Medicine. SGU has them all available.

Anyway... come see for yourself. Vet school is a big investment no matter what school you attend. The cost of visiting the schools to help you make the correct decision, is well worth it, so if you are looking into the Caribbean schools, please please please go visit them and see the differences for yourself.

Hey everyone, I was reading through this thread and wanted to let everyone know about our Eureka Program.

Personally, I beg all prospective students to visit the campuses of the schools they are interested in attending. Because of that, SGU created the Eureka program. If you would like to visit our campus I will put you in touch with the travel agency SGU uses who can book a flight and hotel for you. You have to pay out of pocket first, but if you then become a matriculated student with SGU we will reimburse you for your flights and a three day stay in Grenada.

Accreditation--- We had our final site visit in April. The AVMA next meets in September at which time we will hear if we are accredited. If so, accreditation is backdated to that April site visit.

Tution. SGU has a total tuition cost a little more than $30,000 less than Ross. In addition SGU offers several partial scholarships, than would lower our tuition to what most U.S. students pay as In-State tuition.

Transportation. SGU has a fleet of 40 buses that run from 6 am to 2 Am. so if you are living off campus, you do not need to buy a car to get around.

Student services. SGU has a department of educational services which is free for all SGU students, so whether you need tutoring in a class, help with testing skills, time management skills, etc. SGU is there to help, free of charge.

Dual Degrees. SGU offers several dual degree options, so whether you are interested in a MPH, MBA, or MSc in Wildlife or Marine Medicine. SGU has them all available.

Anyway... come see for yourself. Vet school is a big investment no matter what school you attend. The cost of visiting the schools to help you make the correct decision, is well worth it, so if you are looking into the Caribbean schools, please please please go visit them and see the differences for yourself.

Yay, SGU! I've fallen in love with the campus, students, and staff at this university. Sure, it's not accredited yet but, it's on its way to getting there.

As for loans, I've heard of many people getting enough to be able to live off of it. You don't want a job during classes because it could distract you too much.

Yay, SGU! I've fallen in love with the campus, students, and staff at this university. Sure, it's not accredited yet but, it's on its way to getting there.

As for loans, I've heard of many people getting enough to be able to live off of it. You don't want a job during classes because it could distract you too much.

even if it doesn't get accredited in the fall, ross has been graduating students for 30 years and it's not been the end of the world for them as well as the 12 years of SGU grads. and you're right, they are well on their way with making sure everything is up to par.

for loans-I have the ability to take up to the full cost of attendance/living through the federal loans program so it is certainly do-able

for jobs-i'm not sure you can get a job with being a foreign student (at least not easily). i also asked a student out of curiousity and she said there really aren't any jobs available for students because they usually go to SOs and you don't really have time

for loans-I have the ability to take up to the full cost of attendance/living through the federal loans program so it is certainly do-able

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you plan on taking out every year? Just to give me an idea. I'm applying for SGU starting Fall 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the folks they have indicated they got loans to they were able to live off of, can you clarify what types of loans: government or private?

I'm in the process of researching loans and I'm a little overwhelmed with where to get started.

I appreciate any assistance.

US schools aren't out of the question, but my GPA was a 3.2, so I'm not sure I'd make it into a US school...

3.2 isn't so low as to rule out most US-based schools.

I'd at least strongly consider your IS school if you have one, and compare the tuition between that and SGU, Ross, or wherever else you're thinking of applying.

Nothing wrong with SGU or Ross, but if you could save money by staying IS I'd give that piece of the decision-making process a lot of weight.

all government since we have access to federal loans too. you can do private, but its not the best route to go from what i understand

That's a bold statement saying the curriculum is more regulated. Both schools have highly regulated curriculums. And as mentioned above, we are going to find out about accreditation in September. The reason that Ross received accredited first was because their site visit was earlier and the committee only meets twice a year. jmo1012 is pretty much right on about the differences.

I'm not sure why you're offended by my statement?

By definition, a school that is accredited by the AVMA must conform to their standards of quality. That doesn't mean SGU does not conform to similar standards, but AVMA is not yet regulating them. No need to get your knickers in a twist!

section_education.gif

Education > Accreditation > About accreditation Why is accreditation important?

Accreditation by the AVMA Council on Education (COE) and Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA) represents the highest standard of achievement for veterinary medical education in the United States. Institutions that earn accreditation confirm their commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review. The COE is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
Accreditation is a process by which an educational institution or program submits to a voluntary, non-governmental review to determine whether it meets accepted standards of quality. Within veterinary medicine, the AVMA COE develops standards and conducts reviews of DVM or equivalent educational programs, while the AVMA CVTEA develops standards and reviews programs in veterinary technology. An institution or program is considered fully accredited when it is found to meet these standards (see the COE accreditation process and the CVTEA accreditation process for more information).
Graduation from an AVMA COE- or CVTEA-accredited institution is a prerequisite for licensure or certification for professional practice through the majority of state licensing boards and credentialing agencies in order to meet the educational prerequisites.
In brief, AVMA accreditation of veterinary medical programs and institutions assures:

• prospective students that they will meet a competency threshold for entry into practice, including eligibility for professional credentialing and/or licensure;
  • employers that graduates have achieved specified learning goals and are prepared to begin professional practice;
  • faculty, deans and administrators that their programs measure satisfactorily against national standards and their own stated missions and goals;
  • the public that public health and safety concerns are being addressed; and
  • the veterinary profession that the science and art of veterinary medicine are being advanced through contemporary curricula.

I'm not offended by your statement. I was just clarifying that both schools are highly regulated and have very similar curriculums to each other and US schools.

By definition, a school that is accredited by the AVMA must conform to their standards of quality. That doesn't mean SGU does not conform to similar standards, but AVMA is not yet regulating them. No need to get your knickers in a twist!

section_education.gif

Accreditation by the AVMA Council on Education (COE) and Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA) represents the highest standard of achievement for veterinary medical education in the United States. Institutions that earn accreditation confirm their commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review. The COE is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
Accreditation is a process by which an educational institution or program submits to a voluntary, non-governmental review to determine whether it meets accepted standards of quality. Within veterinary medicine, the AVMA COE develops standards and conducts reviews of DVM or equivalent educational programs, while the AVMA CVTEA develops standards and reviews programs in veterinary technology. An institution or program is considered fully accredited when it is found to meet these standards (see the COE accreditation process and the CVTEA accreditation process for more information).
Graduation from an AVMA COE- or CVTEA-accredited institution is a prerequisite for licensure or certification for professional practice through the majority of state licensing boards and credentialing agencies in order to meet the educational prerequisites.
In brief, AVMA accreditation of veterinary medical programs and institutions assures:

• prospective students that they will meet a competency threshold for entry into practice, including eligibility for professional credentialing and/or licensure;
  • employers that graduates have achieved specified learning goals and are prepared to begin professional practice;
  • faculty, deans and administrators that their programs measure satisfactorily against national standards and their own stated missions and goals;
  • the veterinary profession that the science and art of veterinary medicine are being advanced through contemporary curricula.

Curry Spice,

SGU has been in the AVMA accreditation process and had their final site visit in April. SGU wouldn't have scheduled that visit if they were not already conforming to the 11 standards set out by the AVMA. By the way, U.S. schools occasionally lose their "full accreditation" status for falling short in one or more of the 11 standards. For example, Tennessee currently has "Limited Accreditation", but I wouldn't tell a resident of Tennessee not to go there because of it.

Since the AVMA can only do one site visit at a time and only conducts 7 site visits a year, Ross beat us to the punch by three months. Of course they opened their vet school 17 years before SGU, so I can't help but wonder why it took them so long. I know at this exact moment the only argument anyone can come up with for attending Ross over SGU is the AVMA accreditation that Ross has now had for a whopping 4 months. However, as long as SGU becomes AVMA accredited before a student graduates from them, they are considered a graduate of an accredited school, so exploiting accreditation to students who are applying or starting school now, doesn't even hold much weight.

If any offense has been taking from your posts, it is probably because your posts has had absolutely nothing to do with the original topic of this thread, and seem to have been posted only to promote Ross in an SGU thread. I personally love for prospective students to be able to make an informed decision so I would welcome you to create your own thread highlighting the opportunities and advantages of Ross. I will then, like I did earlier, plead to students to visit both campuses and see for themselves.

section_education.gif

Of course they opened their vet school 17 years before SGU, so I can't help but wonder why it took them so long.

Perhaps if your point is that this thread is about SGU, you shouldn't yourself be taking snarky shots at Ross? Kinda hypocritical.

Last edited:
Why must everything on this forum turn into a p*ssing contest? Could we possibly agree to disagree and conduct ourselves like the professionals we are striving to be?

Except the difference is I didn't go to a Ross thread and post it. Typically I never discuss Ross or Devry, but if someone brings them up first, especially in a SGU thread that has nothing to do with them, I think it is only fair I am allowed a rebuttal.

Perhaps if your point is that this thread is about SGU, you shouldn't yourself be taking snarky shots at Ross? Kinda hypocritical.

It's not a pissing contest. People love to make assumptions about Caribbean schools with no personal experience, and I love to correct people that make misinformed statements.

Back to the OP, I took out federal loans and it covered all my expenses. Unless they don't cover all your expenses (which they should unless your spouse makes a lot of money), then you likely won't need to take out private loans. The federal aid counselors are fantastic at SGU and if you contact them, they can provide you with more information. :)

The federal aid counselors are fantastic at SGU and if you contact them, they can provide you with more information. :)

This is a great advice - instead of arguing, get the info straight from the horses mouth, as it were. They'll know best what you can and can't do.

It's not a pissing contest. People love to make assumptions about Caribbean schools with no personal experience, and I love to correct people that make misinformed statements.

Back to the OP, I took out federal loans and it covered all my expenses. Unless they don't cover all your expenses (which they should unless your spouse makes a lot of money), then you likely won't need to take out private loans. The federal aid counselors are fantastic at SGU and if you contact them, they can provide you with more information. :)

Sorry for the assumption, it just seems like some people get on this thing looking for an argument. :)

Thanks for the info on the loans! That is good to know. I was under the impression that student loans would not even cover all of my tuition let alone living expenses.

I will do that! I have no problem calling SGU for more information, just thought I'd ask around here first. Always figure the people that are living/have lived on loans probably know better then anyone! :) Might have to take out a private milk loan for my husband though-- when I told him milk in Grenada is about $7 us per gallon, he said "Guess we're buying a cow." He sure loves his milk... :D

When you visit the campus, are you able to sit in on any of the classes?

Sarah,

Yes if you tour the campus during the school you, we can arrange to have some current students meet up with you and you are more than welcome to sit in on a class with them.

Sarah,

Yes if you tour the campus during the school you, we can arrange to have some current students meet up with you and you are more than welcome to sit in on a class with them.

That's great-- Thanks Jeff!