Living Overseas Telemedicine and E-psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any opportunities of living abroad but doing telemedicine for a clinic/hospital in the United states? I know e-psychiatry (a company) allows for this. Their website says pay is 150-200 per hour. Does anybody know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cms requires the provider to be on US soil in order to provide telemedicine services.

Reactions: 5 users
Cms requires the provider to be on US soil in order to provide telemedicine services.
Hmm. How are the night hawk radiologists doing it in Australia for US coverage?

I believe one way to make this work would be to reach out to Psych ED locations, and find out how they are doing with their night coverage (i.e. deficiency in moonlighting psych residents) and now you got yourself an opportunity to live in Thailand, India, Australia, Indonesia, etc. However, I think the bigger issue is finding adequate internet bandwith to support the video stream from across the world. Get that nailed down and you'll be living the mango dream. The second issue, is your visa to be in that country. If utilizing a US tourist Visa, you'll likely need to leave every 6 months...

Those Indian Alphonso mangoes are amazing! Sorry rest of the tropical world, India has you beat.

same as for telepsychiatry outside the US - they do not bill medicare. they receive payment for providing services (e.g. to a radiology group) not for billing for those services. this only applies to medicare and medicaid - you could bill private insurance companies, but as I mentioned, revenue for telepsychiatry etc does not come from billing for providing services to patients, but providing services to a healthcare entity.

Reactions: 1 users

They are breaking the law. OIG did an initial audit in 4/2018. If you want to make a ton of money, go find a RACK corp, and tell them all about Emory's Australian program.

And I know, everyone is doing it. That doesn't mean crap when the law comes around.

They are breaking the law. OIG did an initial audit in 4/2018. If you want to make a ton of money, go find a RACK corp, and tell them all about Emory's Australian program.

And I know, everyone is doing it. That doesn't mean crap when the law comes around.

BUMP:

What do you mean they are breaking the law.

I am thinking about integrating telepsychiatry into my practice but just with private practice insurance. I don't want to deal with originating sites etc. I know some psychiatrists and therapists that are doing it but I just don't know enough about it.

BUMP:

What do you mean they are breaking the law.

I am thinking about integrating telepsychiatry into my practice but just with private practice insurance. I don't want to deal with originating sites etc. I know some psychiatrists and therapists that are doing it but I just don't know enough about it.

Cms rules and federal law EXPLICITLY state that the provider MUST be on US soil; to include its territories. You cannot provide services to individuals using Medicare or Medicaid while you are outside of the USA. IME, telemedicine groups are telling providers that they can live anywhere and provide services. When the law is quoted to them, I have been met with such gems as “everyone is doing it”. I don’t know about you, but I’m not risking personal financial liability, professional sanctions, and federal criminal charges. And I’m sure as hell not going in front of a judge with “everyone is doing it”.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. I have no plans of doing it from overseas.
I would do it from my office.
I want to know if I can just see patient's in their home using a secure platform. I only want to see PP insurance, not medicare. This would be for the occasional refill etc where I just want to confirm the person is doing okay. In general I am a big fan of face to face visits.

If anyone knows of a good tutorial? The problem is that most of them focus on medicare.

Overseas telephych is not following the law. Illegal? I’m not sure, but do you really want to find out by hiring attorneys to defend yourself when someone from a legal entity comes after you?

Many things can be a problem:
-unsafe Internet Service Provider (outside us)
-Overseas bank account and complex taxes
-Have to have multiple DEAs for multiple states
-Hipaa if you get hacked outside the US, how will that look?
-Malpractice insurance will likely not allow for this, and if you don’t disclose this to them, and a law suite does happen, they will remove themselves from the situation and you will end up pay for your attorneys.

I have been doing telepsych for quite sometime, and I would NOT trust or recommend a company that allows you to be outside the US, because if something does go wrong, I guarantee that they will not have your back