Living with a significant other during DPT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheClimbingDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've just been accepted into DPT school and was curious how many DPT students live with their significant others and if so, what was that transition like? My boyfriend and I have been together 2.5 years and I pretty much live with him. Has the weight of the DPT coursework taken a toll on your relationship? Or have you thrived as a couple? Please let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fiancée moved in just before what is reputed to be my hardest semester in PT school, and it went fine. Granted, she was also working long days during that semester as well, so the routine was basically get up at 6am and see each other again around 9pm for dinner. But in general, my study habits just shifted to making sure I stayed at my building after class and put in a couple hours before going home and not studying, when I'd typically take a break before studying in the evening when I lived alone. It is nice to have someone there to pick up the slack in daily responsibilities when you have a particularly busy week/weekend of exam studying. PT school isn't a steady-state of busy throughout the whole semester, so I contribute more when I have a slower week. Our relationship does better when we are both engaged in meaningful pursuits, it makes the time we do have to spend together more meaningful and keeps us feeling productive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live with my wife and two kids. It is challenging but it's helpful if your SO is supportive and understanding that you may have to check out from tiem to time. Also, it helps to have a study place outside of the house. I often go to the library, stay on campus, and study during breaks so I'm not distracted by the family and household duties. Also, PT school is an avalanche of material and it can feel like the only thing you have time for is school. Try not to fall into that trap because it is extremely stressful and can put a burden on your relationship along with your mental/physical health. Take time out to spend time together and for yourself as well. If you're a stressed out mess then it will be difficult to thrive.

My wife and I married before PT school and I think our challenges are greater now than before. However, that's due to more than just PT school. Life also happens. If you guys are strong and supportive then you're set up to be fine.

My fiancée moved in just before what is reputed to be my hardest semester in PT school, and it went fine. Granted, she was also working long days during that semester as well, so the routine was basically get up at 6am and see each other again around 9pm for dinner. But in general, my study habits just shifted to making sure I stayed at my building after class and put in a couple hours before going home and not studying, when I'd typically take a break before studying in the evening when I lived alone. It is nice to have someone there to pick up the slack in daily responsibilities when you have a particularly busy week/weekend of exam studying. PT school isn't a steady-state of busy throughout the whole semester, so I contribute more when I have a slower week. Our relationship does better when we are both engaged in meaningful pursuits, it makes the time we do have to spend together more meaningful and keeps us feeling productive.
Thank you!

I live with my wife and two kids. It is challenging but it's helpful if your SO is supportive and understanding that you may have to check out from tiem to time. Also, it helps to have a study place outside of the house. I often go to the library, stay on campus, and study during breaks so I'm not distracted by the family and household duties. Also, PT school is an avalanche of material and it can feel like the only thing you have time for is school. Try not to fall into that trap because it is extremely stressful and can put a burden on your relationship along with your mental/physical health. Take time out to spend time together and for yourself as well. If you're a stressed out mess then it will be difficult to thrive.

My wife and I married before PT school and I think our challenges are greater now than before. However, that's due to more than just PT school. Life also happens. If you guys are strong and supportive then you're set up to be fine.
Thank you!

Being a month and a half into PT school, I think maintaining my relationship has been one of the things keeping me sane. We are "long distance" to begin with (45mins-1hr away from each other, previously only seeing each other on weekends before PT school), and we've really made sure to not give up that weekend time if we don't absolutely have to. Whether we're just sitting in the same room while I study, or actively making plans, I've found it to be imperative to my well being to make sure my relationship is still a priority. A good partner in this is going to realize and support what you have to do, but they're going to still make sure to not let you get trapped in the stress & anxiety of PT school.