Living with classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gringos Locos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions:

I’m looking for a place to move into and have the option of moving in with 4 other classmates or two other students from the medical program. I’m not sure if moving in with my classmates will be a good idea. I’m thinking we could potentially all help each other out and that it would be good company to have since we’re all going through the same things or maybe that I’ll get sick of them since I already would see them a lot at school. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the chemistry. Try it for a year and see how it goes. If you don't like it you can always move out after. I personally didnt want roommates so I got my own place.

Reactions: 1 user
I loved being able to have my own place in dental school. I hung out with friends a ton, and we studied together at the library, but it's really nice to have your own quiet space. One place with 5 other people could be pretty crazy. If those are your only two choices I'd lean towards the med students, this will also let you expand your friend group a bit!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I shared a 2 bed apartment with 3 other dental classmates. Toward the end of our 3rd year, another classmate joined the 4 of us…and I had to sleep on the couch in the living room. Before dental school (from the time when I first came to America to the time when I completed my BS degree), I lived with my parents. My parents rented out 2 of the rooms to 4-5 other housemates so I already had the experience in living in a small place with a lot of people.

When I got out, I shared a dental office space with another GP to save in the overhead and construction cost. Again, this is not a big deal since both the GP and I had the experience in sharing apartment with roommates when we were students. We’ve got along very well. At the end of the work day, we try to keep the office clean and make sure all the supplies are fully stocked so one of us can see the patients the next day.

When we had kids, we hired a live in nanny. And again, we have no problem with having another stranger living in our house.

There are a lot of benefits:
1. Huge saving: easily $30-35k in saving for the 4 years of dental school.
2. Since we all have the same classes, I could just skip the lecture and just asked my roommates to pick up the lecture handouts for me.
3. During the midterm/final exam weeks, we all studied for the same exams at the same time…and not bothering each other. When one of us lost a class note, he could just conveniently borrow it from another roommate. If you share a room with a non-dental student, you may run into the problem of one person listening to loud music while the other person is studying for the final exams because you guys don't have the same schedule.
4. We helped each other to graduate on time. I gave one of my roommates a denture case. And one of my roommates gave me a bridge case.
5. All of my roommates are very smart and highly motivated people. Initially, I didn’t plan to specialize but they all convinced me that I should. One roommate even gave me the GRE test application and “forced” me to take the test with him. All 5 of us got accepted to specialty programs: 2 orthos, 2 endos, and 1 OS. We all practice in the same county and remain good friends until today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm alone and I think it's ideal if you can afford it. No dirty dishes, distractions, people being loud at night. Sometimes you think you know someone and then they're different as roommates. Could work for you but I've had bad experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Btw some areas of the country are too expensive to afford your own place on student loans alone, without some outside assistance.