Living with parents after graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldiot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone has considered/done this. I'll be graduating pharmacy school in two years and since I'm both single and have over six-figure student loans I can't honestly think of a good reason to rent an apartment/condo when my parents are more than willing to let me stay home.

With that being said it seems kind of sad that I'll be in my late twenties and living with my parents. I don't really care what other people think but at the same time it's still kind of strange I guess.

I would either stay at home or rent until my loans are paid off and I am stable in my job, which will take a minimum of 3 years, potentially up to 5-6. After that I guess I would just buy a house and work towards paying it off in 10-15 years; not quite as aggressive as the student loans.

Members don't see this ad.

If they are willing to let you crash there, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Make he most of it and enjoy their company as much as possible, find things to do together and pull your way around the house, it will help keep them around for longer.

If my mom would let me move in right now I would! Best years of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just pay off the loans fast. The only sad thing would be to mooch off them without making good financial choices

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With that being said it seems kind of sad that I'll be in my late twenties and living with my parents. I don't really care what other people think but at the same time it's still kind of strange I guess.
It definitely feels strange, and I'd avoided it my entire adult life, but being in debt to student loans is bondage. If living with parents makes it possible to shave off years of bondage in order to be free again, it seems the most rewarding choice. And then it opens more options: entering marriage debt free, buying a house, pursuing other life goals.

Currently living this option myself and wish it had been possible to live with parent/stepparent years ago. I'd be 5-6 figures ahead in net worth, easy.

Yeah another option could be to rent a place 50/50 with my brother, we will graduate in the same year. But I'm not sure what his plans will be. He's not pharmacy.

This would be normal in many cultures so I don't think it is unreasonable to do. Depends on your family dynamics of course. Your parents may find it hard to treat you as an adult while you are there so if you plan to date and bring people home that will get weird, but if they are willing to give you your own space and you help out around the house it could be a good thing for all involved (I am sure they will enjoy having you around unless you act like an entitled freeloader). You can always try it for a bit and see. If it sucks then you rent a place and move out. No big deal as long as no one acts like an dingus about it.